OU men’s basketball: De’Vion Harmon addresses Trae Young comparison, says “I just want to be myself”

• 0
De'Vion Harmon

Freshman point guard De'Vion Harmon talks to reporters June 27.

Freshman point guard De'Vion Harmon has been told he's going to be the next Trae Young.

Young averaged 27.4 points and 8.7 assists per game in his single season as a Sooner. Harmon is currently the No. 43 class of 2019 prospect in the nation, per Rivals.com, and is a gold medalist for Team USA in the FIBA Youth Tournaments, just like Young.

But Harmon dismissed the comparisons during his first ever media availability as a Sooner on Thursday, and said he has plans of his own.

"Ever since Trae did his thing, people have been telling me, 'You're the next Trae Young.' I just want to be me," Harmon said. "That's what it's all about. My parents didn't raise me to be nobody else but myself."

However, Harmon knows Young took on a leadership role as a freshman, and Harmon expects his journey to be the same way. Harmon joins sophomore point guard Jamal Bieniemy, who was thrown into the starting lineup in the 2018-19 season when he was the only freshman on the team. Harmon and Bieniemy are expected to be important to Oklahoma's young core.

"Trae did what he was supposed to do," Harmon said. "He's a great player. Coach Kruger gave him the keys. I think I'll have the same keys. I'm just here to do it my way."

Harmon has even bigger plans than just taking a leadership role.

"I feel like I can be the best scorer in my position," Harmon said, "best rebounder, best passer, the best defender in my position. At the end of the day it's about competing. I think that's what I bring to the table most. For me, when the rocket launches Nov. 5 against UTSA, all I want to do is be the most competitive guy on the court."