OU football: Story of Baker Mayfield meeting wife Emily Wilkinson revealed with more details in ESPN article

• 0
Baker Mayfield (copy)

Senior quarterback Baker Mayfield looks for a teammate to pass the ball to during the Rose Bowl against Georgia Jan. 1.

Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield's methods of attempting to woo now-wife Emily Wilkinson was revealed in a story by ESPN's Mina Kimes, released on Wednesday.

Kimes revealed a more in-depth of the NFL franchise quarterback as he enters his second year in the league. Mayfield discusses being the "underdog" no more, his beef with former Browns head coach Hue Jackson and more in the ESPN story. Mayfield also went into depth about his attempts to get Wilkinson's attention right before the Rose Bowl.

The quarterback and his fiancée, who is from Nebraska, were introduced in 2017 by a mutual friend. At the time, Wilkinson was living in Los Angeles. She says she was wary of dating a "punk football player" and ignored Mayfield's advances for months: He repeatedly followed and unfollowed her on Instagram, trying to attract her attention. Finally, in late December, they exchanged messages. He begged her to meet him before the Rose Bowl, his final college football game. She reluctantly agreed to grab lunch.

"I was assuming he'd be the typical playboy athlete," says Wilkinson, who is four years older than Mayfield. Because the Rose Bowl was the next day, she thought they'd spend most of their date talking about the game. But it barely came up. Instead, she says, Mayfield spent their entire first date peppering her with questions about herself, her family, her plans for the future. The next day, after Oklahoma lost, ending its season, the quarterback texted Wilkinson and told her he was staying in LA. Three days later, he moved in with her and her brothers. Six months later, Emily and Baker were engaged.

Click here for the full story by Kimes.