OU football: Sterling Shepard uses $41 million contract with Giants to pay off mother's home, per report

• 0
Sterling Shepherd

Former Sooner Sterling Shepard watches the game Sept 2. Shepard currently plays for the New York Giants.

Former Oklahoma wide receiver Sterling Shepard told NFL insider Adam Schefter he used his $41 million contract with the New York Giants to pay off his widowed mother's house, according to an article from NJ.

The 26-year-old wide receiver made two big moves after signing a four-year, $41 million contract that will keep him with the Giants through 2022: He paid off the amount owed on his mother’s home in Oklahoma and bought a house in New Jersey to live in with his wife (model Chanel Iman) and daughter.

Cheri Shepard raised three children on her own after Sterling’s father — former Oklahoma and NFL wide receiver Derrick Shepard — died of a heart attack while playing racquetball in 1999.

“I paid off my mother’s house, which is something I’ve always wanted to do for her," Shepard said on ESPN’s The Adam Schefter Podcast. “She has worked extremely hard to provide for three kids after my father passed away. I kind of just wanted to reward her for that. That’s something that, ever since I got in the NFL, I told her I was going to do.”

Click here to read the full article.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.