OU football: Sooners, Texas still planning on Red River Rivalry at Cotton Bowl, per report

• 1
Kennedy Brooks

Redshirt sophomore running back Kennedy Brooks runs with the ball during the Red River Showdown at the Cotton Bowl Oct. 12.

OU and Texas are still planning on playing the 2020 Red River Rivalry game scheduled for Oct. 10 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas, per a report from The Athletic's Nicole Auerbach.

After the State Fair of Texas announced July 7 it would close for 2020 due to COVID-19, some questioned if the Sooners and Longhorns would be able to play at the Cotton Bowl, which resides within the fairgrounds.

OU athletic director Joe CastiglioneĀ saidĀ he hoped the closure would not affect the game, and Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte maintained it would not. Others thought the rival schools might adopt a home-and-home arrangement for the next two seasons.

Oklahoma and Texas have faced off at the Cotton Bowl amid the fair every year since 1932.

Mason Young is a journalism sophomore and The Daily's assistant sports editor. He covers OU football and previously covered OU women's gym, OU wrestling and former Sooners in the NFL. He has also spent some time as a senior news reporter for The Daily.