OU football: Oklahoma ranked No. 7 in latest College Football Playoff rankings

• 0
Ronnie Perkins

Sophomore defensive lineman Ronnie Perkins celebrates during the game against TCU Nov. 23.

Oklahoma is ranked No. 7 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings, it was announced Tuesday night on ESPN.

The Sooners sit behind No. 4 Georgia, No. 5 Alabama and No. 6 Utah from getting in the four-team playoff. Ohio State, LSU and Clemson still sit in the top three spots. Baylor at No. 9, Oklahoma State at No. 21 and Iowa State at No. 23 are the only other Big 12 teams ranked in the top 25. 

With Bedlam Saturday and the Big 12 Championship against Baylor in a week, the Sooners have a chance to make a good last impression on the committee before they announce the final four teams on Sunday, Dec. 8. Ohio State is the only other team in the top seven that will face two top 25 teams in the final two weeks of the season. 

The only teams sitting in front of Oklahoma — Georgia, Alabama and Utah — could seemingly be eliminated in the coming weeks with Georgia having to face LSU in the SEC title game, Alabama missing the SEC title game and Utah not having a quality win this season and still having to play Oregon in the Pac-12 title game. 

College Football Playoff committee chair and Oregon Athletics Director Rob Mullens fielded multiple questions regarding the "closeness" of Alabama, Utah and Oklahoma Tuesday night. 

"We spend considerable time talking about four through six, four through nine, and again, we're comparing full resumes. There's not a metric for closeness," Mullens said on a teleconference. "Alabama (has) been dominant with the exception of a loss to LSU, we're aware of the injuries that we've mentioned. And Utah ... their only loss is on the road to a ranked opponent when their running back missed the majority of the game."

When asked directly about the difference between Utah and Oklahoma, Mullens gave little insight. 

"You know, obviously two very good teams," Mullens said. "When you look at Utah, the strength of their defense, and then the experience at quarterback and running back, only loss being on the road to a 22nd-ranked USC, where Zack Moss missed the majority of the game with an injury.

"And then Oklahoma obviously beat No. 9 Baylor on the road without CeeDee Lamb. They also have a win over ranked Iowa State, only loss to a close quality K-State team."

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit said Tuesday that the Sooners may not get in over a one-loss Utah. 

If the Sooners take care of business against Oklahoma State and Baylor, they will likely have a good chance to reach their third straight College Football Playoff. 

Oklahoma will play Oklahoma State in Stillwater on Saturday at 7 p.m. CT on FOX. 

I joined The Daily in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore. I've covered the soccer team, both men's and women's basketball, as well as the football team for the past two years. I have been the sports editor since spring 2018.