OU football: Marquise Brown learning from cousin, Pittsburgh Steeler Antonio Brown

• 0
Marquise Brown

Junior wide receiver Marquise Brown smiles for the camera before the game against Iowa State Sept. 15.

It runs in the family.

Known for their speed and flashy style of play, Marquise and Antonio Brown are considered two of the best wide receivers in their respective leagues. 

Marquise has become one of Oklahoma's top offensive weapons, being considered by many as the fastest player in college football. Antonio is widely considered one of, if not the best receiver in the NFL in his ninth season with the Pittsburgh Steelers. The two also share similarities off the field, both having a sense of fashion and style (see Marquise's gold grill for just one example). 

So, of course the two are related — cousins to be exact.

"It's very nice, I learn a lot from him," Marquise said. "He just keeps me motivated every time I see him out there on the field."

Marquise said he and Antonio talk every day, with Antonio sharing advice and giving pointers to the young receiver. Marquise even mentioned Antonio is hoping to make an appearance at one of Oklahoma's upcoming games — the Steelers bye week just so happens to be this week. 

View this post on Instagram

The best rolled thru today, appreciate you @ab 📞

A post shared by Kyler Murray (@kyler1murray) on Jul 1, 2018 at 4:05pm PDT

Marquise has been working out with Antonio since a young age and continued to do so throughout his high school and JUCO careers. Even this past summer, he and redshirt junior quarterback Kyler Murray trained with Antonio. Marquise's biggest takeaway from those training sessions with Antionio was simple.  

"Just work ethic," Marquise said. "He plays with an edge. He doesn't have anything not figured out, and that's why he's the best in the game, in my opinion. He has an attitude that makes him great."

Marquise's hard work in the offseason has definitely shown this season for the Sooners, catching 33 passes for 675 yards and seven touchdowns — which is already tied for how many touchdowns he caught all last season. He's also receiving national attention, being considered one of the front runners for the Biletnikoff award and quickly moving up NFL draft boards.

"I don't get excited, but I do take it as a blessing," Marquise said about receiving recognition. "It's always a blessing to be recognized, but the main goal is still ahead."

Marquise isn't worried about the outside noise, and he really doesn't care much for talking about his cousin, either.

So while he may have royal wide receiver blood, he still wants to make a name for himself at Oklahoma. 

"I'm with Oklahoma right now," Marquise said. "That's all I'm focused on."

I joined The Daily in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore. I've covered the soccer team, both men's and women's basketball, as well as the football team for the past two years. I have been the sports editor since spring 2018.