OU football: Lincoln Riley says Jalen Redmond is ‘full go’ this summer, 3 takeaways in this week's Sooners' notebook

• 0
Jamal Morris

Freshman defensive back Jamal Morris runs with teammates during spring practice March 7.

Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley spoke in front of reporters on Thursday evening for the first time since March. Going into his third year at the helm of the Sooners, Riley addressed certain subjects such as players' health and the ongoing quarterback battle between Alabama transfer Jalen Hurts and redshirt freshman Tanner Mordecai.

Here's the latest in the Sooners' notebook.

LB Jalen Redmond's summer is a 'full go.'

Linebacker Jalen Redmond was expected to be a huge difference-maker for the Sooners as a true freshman. Due to blood clots, he only appeared in three games and racked up six tackles. Now a redshirt freshman, Redmond is expected to be back for Summer practice with no restraints.

"Jalen's doing well," Riley said. "We expect to have him full-go here this summer and don't expect any limitations going through. We'll obviously monitor him very, very closely, but that's what we've always done with our guys."

LB Caleb Kelly's surgery success.

After tearing his ACL in practice back in April, senior linebacker Caleb Kelly is taking it one step at a time after having had a successful surgery.

The former five-star recruit suffered the injury in practice, and was expected to be a huge contributor to the Sooners in the 2019-20 season. Kelly made 61 tackles in five starts in the 2018-19 season, and racked up 14 tackles and a strip-sack touchdown against the Mountaineers to seal the Sooners a spot in the Big 12 Championship.

"He had a procedure done. Everything was extremely successful," Riley said. "He's a fast healer. He's kind of got one of those bodies that does heals fast. He works extremely hard at it...He's ahead of schedule but we'll get into the early part of the season and see how he's doing. 

Spencer Rattler entering the quarterback battle.

Riley likes to keep quarterback battles under wraps. Kyler Murray being named the starter over now-West Virginia quarterback Austin Kendall in 2018 wasn't announced until August. Five-star quarterback Spencer Rattler will arrive on campus soon, and Riley plans on throwing him into the mix.

Right now, the consensus is that Hurts will win the battle over Mordecai. Most likely, no one outside the program will know until August. But Riley says the battle will be won in the summer.

"I feel pretty much the same as I did after the Spring Game," Riley said. "Those guys now know what they need to work on. We'll get Spencer (Rattler) in here pretty quick and try to get him up to speed as fast as we can and figure out where he figures into that.

"The summer is the time though. This is the time where, we only got eight hours a week with them for seven days a week. That's not very long...This is the No. 1 time of the year where guys can separate. I expect somebody will (win the quarterback battle) in there."

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.