OU football: Lane Kiffin praises Sooners, says 'I'd be shocked if there was a better team in the country'

• 1
Lane Kiffin

FAU head coach Lane Kiffin during the first half of the game against FAU Sept. 1.

Lincoln Riley and Lane Kiffin — two of the best young, offensive coaching minds in college football today.

Or maybe not, according to Kiffin.

"I don't think we were two of the better ones today," Kiffin said with a nod to lopsided score of FAU's 63-14 loss to Oklahoma. "He is."

Oklahoma's matchup with Florida Atlantic (0-1) was supposed to be a tough test for the Sooners (1-0), with the Owls being hyped up all week. Riley even called FAU one of the top 20-25 teams in the country earlier in the week.

The game quickly turned one-sided though, with Oklahoma busting out to an early 21-0 lead and holding Florida Atlantic scoreless until there was under a minute left in the first quarter.

"Did you guys enjoy that preseason game?" Kiffin asked after the game. "It didn't really count, right?" 

This was not how the game was supposed to go.

It was supposed to be a meeting of two great offensive minds. A David and Goliath battle between Kiffin and Riley.

Kiffin led FAU to an 11-3 record and the No. 9 offense in the country in 2017, his first year as the Owls' coach. Despite having an incredible running back in junior Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic came into the game with some uncertainty in its offense, though, having yet to name a starting quarterback until the game started. 

The Owls couldn't get their offense rolling the way they were expected to, but the Sooners' offense rolled right over them.

"He does a great job," Kiffin said of Riley. "I don't know their set up calling plays and all that stuff, but they do a great job. What I can I say, Baker is great, Heisman winner, No. 1 player, but you know watch the film. I said it during the week that I don't know that it's better to play against Kyler. He's faster, and he's harder to get down — you saw that today, play after play." 

After the game, Kiffin sat in the visiting team press conference room looking stunned by what he and his team had gone through on the field and the all-around strength of Oklahoma.

His message about the team he had just faced was clear:

"I'd be shocked if there was a better team in the country after what I saw today."

Abby Bitterman is a journalism and political science senior covering sports for The Daily.