OU football: Kyler Murray named Big 12 Male Athlete of the Year

• 0
Kyler Murray (copy)

Former OU quarterback Kyler Murray gets recognized for his Heisman Trophy during the OU basketball game against Texas Feb. 23.

Kyler Murray has added yet another award to his expansive and expanding trophy case.

The former Oklahoma quarterback was named the 2018-19 Big 12 Male Athlete of the Year, the conference announced Thursday. Murray is the sixth OU athlete in history and third in the last four years to receive the honor.

In the year since head coach Lincoln Riley named him the starting quarterback in August 2018, Murray led the Sooners to a fourth straight Big 12 championship and third College Football Playoff appearance in the last five seasons, became the seventh OU player to win the Heisman trophy award and was the eventual No. 1 overall pick of the Arizona Cardinals in April's NFL Draft. He also became the first FBS player in history to average over 300 passing yards and 60 rushing yards per game for an entire season.

The last year has been a whirlwind for Murray, but the former Sooner is now focused on adjusting to life in the NFL. According to Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, Murray is adjusting to the new offense well. "The first thing that pops out to you, how intelligent he is," Fitzgerald said. "He knows the system better than we do."