OU football: Kennedy Brooks cleared of alleged Title IX violation, set to return to team Wednesday, per The Athletic

• 0
Kennedy Brooks (copy)

Redshirt freshman running back Kennedy Brooks runs the ball in the game against West Virginia Nov. 23.

A Title IX investigation involving Oklahoma running back Kennedy Brooks and a female OU student concluded on Tuesday, according to a report from The Athletic's Jason Kersey, clearing the redshirt sophomore of any violation. 

No related charges appear in Oklahoma State Courts Network for Brooks as of Tuesday afternoon. Kersey’s report notes the female student went through the university’s Title IX office earlier in the summer, alleging “Brooks was physically violent toward her.” Kersey also states Brooks remained in Norman working out at a local high school during the investigation and is expected to be back with the team starting Wednesday. 

Sources confirmed to The Daily on Monday that Brooks had not been practicing with the team. OU released a statement on Tuesday night that stated Brooks would return to team activities.

The case marks the second time a player has publicly faced some level of investigation in Lincoln Riley's tenure as head coach.

In 2017, former Sooner running back Rodney Anderson was accused of sexual assault in a complaint filed through the Norman Police Department. Anderson denied the allegation and the Cleveland County district attorney announced he would not be charged.

Brooks rushed for 1,056 yards and 12 touchdowns in the 2018-19 season, where he averaged 88 yards a game. Brooks is a key piece in the Sooners’ offense along with junior running back Trey Sermon, who rushed for 947 yards and 13 touchdowns, averaging 5.8 yards per carry. Behind Brooks in line is sophomore T.J. Pledger, who rushed for 179 yards total in 2018.

Also on Tuesday, Brooks was named a preseason All-Big 12 first-team selection. Next week on Monday, July 14, coach Lincoln Riley will address the media for the first time since Brooks’ investigation became public at Big 12 Media Days in Arlington, Texas.