OU football: Browns' QB coach Ryan Lindley hopes to talk Baker Mayfield, air raid offense with Lincoln Riley

• 0
Lincoln Riley

Head football coach Lincoln Riley at the game against Vanderbilt Jan. 26.

Cleveland Browns quarterbacks coach Ryan Lindley plans to travel to Norman, Oklahoma, sometime in the next few weeks to talk with Sooners’ head coach Lincoln Riley about Baker Mayfield and the air raid offense, Cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot reported on Friday.

“Obviously, knowing where (a guy’s) from, especially young guys, kind of where their baseline is, it'd be great to see what they're thinking,’’ Lindley said. “You kind of have a good idea of what they do, but you just want to see how they ingrain the things…They do a very good job of developing quarterbacks. You'd love to kind of see some of the things that they do to make that happen."

Mayfield served as Riley’s first starting quarterback when became head coach after Bob Stoops' retirement in the summer of 2017, and the two went on to make a College Football Playoff appearance in 2018.

In two seasons with Riley at the helm, the Sooners have led the nation in total offense and offensive efficiency. Even after Mayfield left for the NFL, the Riley-Kyler Murray combo helped lead the Oklahoma offense to a 96.6 offensive efficiency rating, the highest recorded since ESPN began recording the stat in 2005.

Riley quieted NFL coaching rumors in January by signing an extension to stay at Oklahoma through 2024 and is now the highest paid coach in the Big 12.

Mayfield, a Heisman Trophy award winner and first overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, is preparing for his second season with the Browns and first with Lindley as the quarterbacks coach.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.