OU football: Bob Stoops voluntarily takes pay decrease from Oklahoma as he joins XFL

• 0
Bob Stoops (copy)

Former OU coach Bob Stoops at OU's football Pro Day March 13.

Former Oklahoma head coach Bob Stoops is voluntarily taking a pay decrease from the University of Oklahoma from $325,000 a year to $162,000, according to the Board of Regents agenda revealed on Friday. 

Stoops, going into his first season as an XFL head coach in Dallas, holds the title of "Special Assistant to the Athletic Director," a title he's held since 2017. The matter will be officially decided at the Board of Regents meeting at 11 a.m. on June 27 in Sulphur, Oklahoma.

Stoops coached the Sooners from 1999-2016, accumulating a record of 190-48 and a national championship. Stoops attained his position as Athletic Director Joe Castiglione's special assistant in 2017.

The Board of Regents also revealed potential pay changes in the agenda for current OU coaches as well. Softball head coach Patty Gasso and her son, assistant coach DJ Gasso, men's basketball head coach Lon Kruger, women's basketball head coach Sherri Coale and men's gymnastics head coach Mark Williams are among the coaches being discussed for an "annual review of compensation and contract of employment and to make any necessary adjustments."