OU football: Board of Regents approves sale of alcohol at home football games

• 0
Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium

Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium during the Bedlam game Nov. 10.

The Board of Regents approved an action on Friday to allow the selling of alcoholic beverages at OU sporting events. Alcoholic beverages will be sold at Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium for the 2019-20 football season.

The decision comes after a "pilot program" established by the Board of Regents back in October of 2018. In the program, alcoholic beverages were sold at the 2019 OU Spring Game.

Castiglione said the revenue of the entire program was "probably under $80,000."

"This idea wasn’t driven by some type of revenue windfall that we might make if we opened it up," OU director of athletics Joe Castigione said on Friday morning. "That’s not what the emphasis is behind this. It was really hearing from fans — quite a few fans — that wanted the opportunity just like they did at a lot of other venues — football, basketball, baseball, whatever it is – throughout the state of Oklahoma as well as places they travel. (Selling alcoholic beverages at college sporting events) is becoming more common. It’s common in pro sports and has been used for a long time, but it certainly has become more common in collegiate facilities for the last five to 10 years.”

The program also consisted of selling beer at men's and women's basketball games at the Lloyd Noble Center and at baseball and softball facilities.