OU football: Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray to talk smack ahead of Browns vs Cardinals

• 0
Murray and Mayfield

Sophomore quarterback Kyler Murray runs the ball after senior quarterback Baker Mayfield pitched it to him during the Rose Bowl Jan. 1.

Former Oklahoma quarterbacks and Heisman Trophy winners Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray will  square off in a week 15 matchup between the Cleveland Browns and Arizona Cardinals on Dec. 15 in Glendale, Arizona.

Months away from the game, Mayfield already admits “there will absolutely be smack talk” between the former teammates.

“That’s my guy,” Mayfield told Cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot. “It’ll be fun to play against him after competing against him in practice and being around him everyday. It’ll make this matchup so much more enjoyable.”

Mayfield and Murray last played on the same field together in the 2018 Rose Bowl, back when Murray was Mayfield’s backup. Both quarterbacks would go on to be No. 1 picks in the NFL Draft.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.