OU football: Baker Mayfield hosts ProCamp for kids, teaches importance of attitude

• 0
Baker Mayfield

Former Sooner Baker Mayfield poses for a photo with a child that won an award in the Baker Mayfield Football ProCamp June 19.

Baker Mayfield's word of the day was "attitude."

The Cleveland Browns quarterback stood in front of over 500 campers at the Baker Mayfield Football ProCamp on June 19 at the OU Intramural Fields in Norman after over seven hours of coaching kids from first to eighth grade, and emphasized the importance of the word.

"In a football mindset, the most important play is always the next one, and your teammates are always more important than yourself," Mayfield said. "You got to put them first. You gotta elevate their game. If it's a great play, good for you, but you got to play the next one. If it's a bad play you gotta have a short memory, forget that and you have to play the next one."

The former Oklahoma quarterback — who earned the starting role of QB as a walk-on, won the Heisman Trophy and was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft — knows a thing or two about the word. Arguably the most charismatic OU football player in the history of the program, Mayfield has shown his attitude on Owen Field and in Cleveland, Ohio. 

Mayfield showed his attitude of winning spirit on Wednesday, where after seven hours of coaching football to his campers, he participated in a sudden death, one-play championship between the two best teams of the day. Mayfield chose to join the defense, where he lined up as a free safety, and picked off the pass and celebrated by punting the ball into a crowd of campers.

"It's about having a positive attitude," Mayfield said. "And my favorite part about the word is the work ethic that comes with it. Anything you want in life you're going to have to work for. Not everything is given to you, so if you really want something you're going to have to outwork somebody. What kind of attitude are you going to wake up with everyday?"

All of the campers received autographed memorabilia from Mayfield, who spent almost the entire duration of the camp running around and running drills with campers.

"There's a reason I am where I am right now and I'd like to think a lot of it has to do with attitude and work ethic," Mayfield said, "so I hope you guys realize the importance of that word and keeping a positive mindset."