OU baseball: Three positives after Sooners fall victim to Texas Tech sweep

• 0
Levi Prater

Sophomore pitcher Levi Prater pitches the ball during the game against Texas Tech May 4.

The Sooners had little to no answers against Texas Tech on Sunday, losing 8-4 to finish on the wrong end of a series sweep for the first time in 2019. Sunday’s loss was contrary to the first two losses of the series, as on Friday and Saturday the Sooners were ahead 2-0 at one point and carried a lead into the seventh inning before falling victim to a late-inning surge by Texas Tech.

With a pair of three-game conference sets remaining (Oklahoma State at home May 10-12, Texas on the road May 16-18) before Oklahoma heads to up to Oklahoma City for the Big 12 tournament, there are still some big games that can be won.

With that being said, here are three players who played well during a series with — let’s face it — a lot of negatives in the final stat lines:

Tanner Tredaway

For the first time all season, head coach Skip Johnson placed sophomore Tanner Tredaway in the No. 2 spot in the starting lineup.

The decision comes after Tredaway laced 13 hits in 34 at-bats leading up to the Sunday’s series finale and knocked half of his ten RBIs on the season in a four game span from a Tuesday night contest against Wichita State on April 23 all the way through the Kansas State series April 26-28.

Against Texas Tech, Tredaway reached base six times in 13 at-bats and scored a run in all three games. In a young outfield crew that has seen four or five guys rotate in and out of the lineup all season, it is certainly a breath of fresh air to see a player like Tredaway begin to heat up at the right time.

Levi Prater

When he completed yet another shutout inning in the top of the fifth in Saturday’s game, sophomore lefty Levi Prater — along with three or four other Oklahoma players — turned toward the Oklahoma dugout and gave a fired-up fist pump that look something similar to his regular pitching motion in terms of form and oomph.

He was fired up for good reason.

A play that was originally ruled an inside-the-park home run was switched to a triple and putout, when it was determined Texas Tech catcher Braxton Fulford was indeed out at the plate trying to stretch his triple into a solo homer.

In the bottom of the inning, junior Brady Lindsly ripped a two-run shot, his second of the weekend, to give the Sooners a 2-0 lead and give Prater what looked to be the only cushion he needed to take his seventh win of the season.

It just didn’t work out. Prater was eventually pulled after six innings after allowing a run in his final inning, finishing with six strikeouts and allowing just three hits on the day. He pitched well enough to earn the win, but would leave with a no decision after Texas Tech scored six unanswered runs on the way to winning 7-3.

Brady Lindsly

Thanks to a pair of Brady Lindsly two-run shots, the Sooners jumped out to 2-0 leads in each of the first two games.

Although Lindsly had six hits in 13 at-bats and either scored or knocked in nine runs, it was the extra base hit he was robbed from that perhaps turned the tide of the game on Sunday. With two down and runners on first and second in the third, Lindsly got ahold of a 3-1 fastball and smoked it out to the right-center field gap. The ball hung up just a little too long, unfortunately, and fell into the glove of a diving Gabe Holt near the wall in right.

With Oklahoma down 2-0, a double would have easily tied the game, but the Red Raiders scored three runs the next inning and would go on to pull off the series sweep.

Falling to 30-18 on the season and 8-10 in conference play, the Sooners have a few days off before playing Oklahoma State (27-16, 10-8 Big 12) in a highly anticipated Bedlam series that — although Oklahoma is labeled the home team for all three games — will be played at three different locations. The two will square off in Tulsa on Friday, Oklahoma City on Saturday, and Norman on Sunday. The Cowboys also suffered a series sweep against Texas Tech but is will be heading into the series fresh off a series victory against No. 3 Oregon State.