OU baseball: Sooners lose lead in late innings, fall to Texas Tech, 10-6

• 0
Zaragoza

Junior short stop Brandon Zaragpza thows the ball to first base April 6.

When the Sooners came to bat against Texas Tech’s Taylor Floyd in the bottom of the ninth, the loss was almost inevitable even though the Sooners were in position to win the game just two innings earlier.

Floyd punched out Oklahoma juniors Conor McKenna and Brandon Zaragoza before inducing a ground out to end the game, finalizing three consecutive no-hit innings and a 10-6 victory for the Red Raiders in game one of the three-game weekend series.

A firework show went off at the conclusion of the game, but that was simply a follow-up to the show Texas Tech’s Josh Jung and Cameron Warren collectively put on to produce the majority of the Red Raiders’ runs.

Jung, a preseason All-American by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper, hit in the No. 4 hole for the Red Raiders on Friday night and went 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles and four runs scored. Warren immediately succeeded Jung, who had an even more impressive night at the plate. The Sooners failed to retire the senior first baseman once all night, as he lashed a pair of home runs on the way to a 4-for-4 game with four runs scored and four RBIs.

In a game where the Sooners and Red Raiders traded the lead four different times, Oklahoma struck first in the home half of the first by way of a two-run home run by junior Brady Lindsly. After Texas Tech scored twice to take a 3-2 lead in the top of the fourth, the Sooners responded with back-to-back two run frames to jump ahead 6-3 to put junior Nathan Wiles, OU’s starting pitcher, in prime position to earn his eighth win of the campaign.

The Red Raiders scored a trio of runs in the seventh to take a 7-6 lead even after the Sooners retired the first two hitters of the game. Two innings later, Texas Tech tacked on three additional runs to take a commanding 10-6 advantage.

Now 30-16 on the season and an even 8-8 in conference play, the Sooners are set to play two more games against Texas Tech with hopes of winning their second straight conference series. Levi Prater (6-4, 2.55 ERA) is the expected starter for Oklahoma on Saturday against Texas Tech’s Caleb Kilian (7-2, 4.22 ERA).