OU baseball: Sooners implode in 15-3 loss to TCU, suffer early exit from Big 12 Tournament

• 0
Brady Lindsly

Junior catcher Brady Lindsly calls out to the infield during the game against Texas May 17.

OKLAHOMA CITY — The Sooners ended their Big 12 Tournament chances after one catastrophic inning. TCU mercy-ruled the Sooners, 15-3, on Thursday with 14 of the Horned Frogs' runs coming form the fourth inning. 

Right-hander Nathan Wiles held the Horned Frogs scoreless for three innings before finding trouble in the bottom of the fourth after allowing a two-run home run from TCU’s Johnny Rizer with no outs to make the score 2-1. Wiles allowed a double and an RBI triple, still with no outs, and allowed six more hits and three runs before getting his first out of the inning. Wiles didn’t get anymore outs, though. He left the inning after allowing a grand slam from TCU’s Josh Watson. It was 9-1 going into the fifth inning.

Sophomore left-hander Levi Prater came in for Wiles and couldn't to get out of the inning as well. With two outs, TCU's Zach Humphreys hit a two-run home run to make the score 12-1. Right-hander Wyatt Olds came in for the final out, but not without allowing two runs first. It was 14-0 going into the fifth inning. The Horned Frogs' explosive fourth inning was too much for the Sooners to overcome.

TCU crushed the Big 12 Tournament records. The Horned Frogs beat the Big 12 Tournament record for most hits in an inning (11), RBIs (14) and tied the total at-bats record (15).

A sac fly from second baseman Connor McKenna scored first baseman Tyler Hardman to make the score 1-0 in the second inning. Sophomore Justin Mitchell walked to score senior Blake Brewster, and Hardman was able to score Tanner Tredaway in the seventh inning. That was all the Sooners could muster. The team combined for eight hits to TCU's 14.

The Sooners now have to hope NCAA Tournament odds turn in their favor, for the Sooners are just outside the postseason bubble, and an early exit from their conference tournament does not help their case.