OU baseball: Sooners fall victim to yet another late-inning surge by Texas Tech, lose 7-3

• 0
Brady Lindsly

Junior catcher Brady Lindsly hits the ball during the game against Texas Tech May 4.

For the second straight game, the Sooners jumped out to a 2-0 advantage and entered the top of the seventh inning with the lead. Yet, once again, Oklahoma came to bat in the ninth with almost all odds of winning deflated, this time falling victim to a fatal seven run surge by the Red Raiders over the final four innings.

On Saturday, the Red Raiders scored four runs in the seventh to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 5-2 lead and tacked on additional runs in each of the final two frames to add what would simply be unnecessary cushion on the way to a 7-3 victory.

The seven-run spurt by Texas Tech came shortly after a turn of events that seemingly suggested it would be the Sooners’ lucky day.

With two outs, nobody on and the game scoreless in the top of the fifth, Texas Tech’s Braxton Fulford laced a fly ball to the wall in right field. The right fielder, Oklahoma junior Brady Harlan, sprinted back and crashed into the green padding in an attempt to catch the incoming missile. Harlan fell on his back and the ball sputtered halfway between the warning track and the infield, where it was picked up by junior second baseman Conor McKenna. McKenna turned and fired the ball home to junior catcher Brady Lindsly, who tagged Fulford just inches before he could complete the inside the park home run. The home plate umpire initially called Fulford safe, but a video review would result in a change of the ruling.

The out marked the fifth straight shutout inning thrown by sophomore Levi Prater — who would finish with six innings pitched and six strikeouts — and was perhaps an indication for future offensive success.

In the bottom half of the inning, sophomore Tanner Tredaway led off with a ringing single to left field before Lindsly blasted a two-run home run to right to give the Sooners a 2-0 lead.

Oklahoma would put multiple runners on in three of the final four innings but would only be able to counter the Red Raiders late surge with one run of its own.

Despite having lost the series already, the Sooners can avoid being swept for the first time all season with a win on Sunday. The ball will go to freshman Ben Abram (6-1, 3.21 ERA), who will square off against Texas Tech’s Bryce Bonnin (3-1, 5.68 ERA).