OU baseball: Sooners fall to Baylor, 8-2, in Big 12 Tournament with struggling pitching and offense

• 0
Cade Cavalli

Sophomore right handed pitcher Cade Cavalli throws the ball in the game against Cal Poly on Feb. 15.

OKLAHOMA CITY — The Sooners’ found trouble generating runs in their 8-2 loss to Baylor in the Big 12 Tournament on Wednesday. Oklahoma will play in the loser’s bracket of the tournament and will play the loser of Oklahoma State against TCU at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 23.

Oklahoma’s first run came from junior second baseman Connor McKenna’s home run in the top of the seventh inning. Before that, the Sooners left innings two through seven with runners on base. Two of those innings had runners on third base, but the Sooners couldn’t take advantage of the opportunities on offense until it was too late. Junior catcher Brady Lindsly scored senior third baseman Brylie Ware with an RBI double in the eighth inning to make the score 8-2. 

Oklahoma sophomore pitcher Cade Cavalli found trouble early in the match. Cavalli allowed a two-run home run from Baylor’s Shea Langeliers in the bottom of the first inning, making the score 2-0 Bears. In the bottom of the fourth, Cavalli allowed another two-run shot after walking the lead hitter, making the score 4-0. Cavalli finished the night allowing four earned runs and six hits.

Sophomore right-hander Aaron Brooks came in for Cavalli in the bottom of the sixth inning and allowed a hit and three runs without completing the inning to make the score 7-0. Sophomore left-hander Ledgend Smith replaced Brooks to attempt to get the final out of the inning, ultimately walking two batters. Freshman Jaret Godman was the third reliever to enter the sixth inning to get the final out. Godman went on to pitch in the seventh inning, allowing a home run, the Bears' final run of the game.

Senior right-hander Ryan Madden came in for Godman in the bottom of the eighth, and finished the game for the Sooners.