OU baseball: Sooners defeat Longhorns, 13-0, in run-rule victory

• 0
Levi Prater

Sophomore Levi Prater pitches the ball during the game against Texas Tech May 4.

The cap shuffle fan-engagement activity came on the video screen in left-center field at the end of the sixth inning.

The ball rolled under cap No. 2 and shuffled in between and behind other caps for a few seconds before winding up in position No. 4. It was fairly easy to follow and, most days, would warrant a loud, resounding “FOUR” from those in the crowd who were following along and excited to blurt out the right answer.

But the burnt-orange crowd was silent on this Friday afternoon. A sense of shock and dismay fell over the crowd at UFCU Disch-Falk Field as the Longhorns, one year removed from a College World Series appearance and ranked in the top 25 nationally to begin the season, were on the verge of missing the postseason altogether.

The Sooners scored a pair of runs on a two-run homer by junior Brady Lindsly — the team’s fourth of the game — in the following inning and went on to beat the Longhorns on the road, 13-0, in a run-rule. The dominating victory marks OU's largest margin of victory over Texas ever, with the second-largest margin occurring in 1994 (11 runs). With the loss, Texas is officially eliminated from Big 12 tournament contention.

The Sooners scored in each of the first five innings for the first time all season, rocketing balls deep into gaps, lacing sharp bouncers off the turf and soaring homers over outfield walls. In his second-to-last regular season game in an OU uniform, senior Brylie Ware went 4-for-4 at the dish with three runs scored, including a solo home run. Conor McKenna had a trio of hits as well, including a two-run shot that put Oklahoma ahead 3-0 in the second. The 13 run effort is also the most runs Oklahoma has produced in the first seven innings of a game this season and the most runs it has scored in a conference game since March 23, 2018.

Levi Prater picked up his seventh win of the season as he held the Longhorns scoreless on just three hits through six strong innings of work.

The Sooners and Longhorns are set to finish the three-game set at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, May 17. Oklahoma is looking for its second conference series sweep of the season and first on the road. A win would improve OU’s conference record to an even 12-12 to cap off the regular season.