OU baseball: Cade Cavalli selected to USA Baseball Collegiate National Team

• 0
Cade Cavalli (copy)

Sophomore right handed pitcher Cade Cavalli throws the ball in the game against Cal Poly on Feb. 15.

This summer, Oklahoma two-way player Cade Cavalli will trade the Crimson and Cream for the Red, White and Blue.

The incoming junior was selected to the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team’s 26-man roster Monday, a group that will compete in series against Cuba, Chinese Taipei and Japan throughout the month of July, per USA Baseball.

Cavalli survived the wave of cuts made to the original 36-man Training Camp roster, a roster that — according to USA Baseball — featured the 36 best college players in the country. The roster will be shortened to 24 players after the series finale against Chinese Taipei on June 12 in Taiwan. If Cavalli makes the final roster, he will also compete in the USA vs. Japan Collegiate All-Star series, which will take place in various cities throughout Japan from July 16-21.

Cavalli was one of the top combo pitcher-position players in the nation in 2019 and was recognized as one of the country’s 11 semifinalists for the John Olerud Two-Way Player of the Year award. In the press release, Cavalli’s listed position is “RHP,” perhaps suggesting that he will never swing a bat while on the national team.

In 12 appearances on the mound — many of which as Oklahoma’s Friday night starter — Cavalli recorded a 5-3 record and 3.28 ERA in 60.1 innings. The numbers for the rising sophomore serve as statistical evidence for the improvements he made to his routine between year one and year two.

“Last year was tough,” Cavalli said of the 13 earned runs he allowed in 17.1 innings and .202 average at the plate. “Obviously I struggled, everyone knows that but we worked on my approach. … I’m really excited with the results but I just have to stay in the process.”

Cavalli is one of three Sooners to compete internationally this summer, as outfielder Jordan Vujovich is currently competing with the Serbian National Team and pitcher Ben Abram is competing with the Canadian National Team.