OU athletics: Sooners release COVID-19 testing data from Nov. 29-Dec. 4, reveal 28 active cases among student athletes and staff

• 0
Joe Castiglione

OU athletics director Joe Castiglione speaks to participants through his face mask during the Unity Walk on Sept. 23.

The OU athletics department released COVID-19 testing data from Nov. 29 to Dec. 4 on Monday, revealing 28 active cases among student-athletes and staff.

During the period, 425 student-athletes and 385 staff members were tested, yielding 16 new positives. Despite still having a high case count, the department brought its total down significantly after reporting 40 active cases during the previous testing period

The positivity rate for student-athlete tests dropped from a 9 percent to 3 percent from Nov. 29 to Dec. 4. Levels are returning to normal after virus-related postponements affected three men's and three women's basketball games and a football game.

The Sooners will see considerable action again this week as the football, men's and women's basketball teams all compete.

Sports Editor

Mason Young is a journalism sophomore. He's the Daily's sports editor and covers OU football. He was previously assistant sports editor and has worked as a reporter covering OU women's gym, OU wrestling and former Sooners in the NFL.