Oklahoma football: 10 things to know about OU vs. Ohio State

• 1
Baker Mayfield

Junior quarterback Baker Mayfield speaks with Fox Sports after the game against the University of Louisiana at Monroe Sept. 10. Mayfield had 244 passing yards.

Here are the 10 things to look for ahead of Oklahoma's game with Ohio State.

1. Stripe the Stadium

Oklahoma vs. Ohio State will be “stripe the stadium.” Fans in even-numbered sections are asked to wear crimson, while fans in odd-numbered sections are asked to wear white. OU students will be given shirts.

2. Buckeye Bash

Ohio State will be hosting a “Buckeye Bash” at the Lloyd Noble Center at 4 p.m. on Saturday. The Buckeyes sold out the 800 tickets that were made available for the “pep rally style event” that includes food and performances by the Ohio State Marching Band, mascot and the cheerleaders.

3. Familiar Face

The Sooners have already lost to a former Ohio State coordinator this season — Tom Herman and the University of Houston, 33-23.

4. History in the making

The Sooners are 1-1 against Ohio State, playing the Buckeyes in 1977 and 1983. Oklahoma defeated the Buckeyes 29-28 in 1977, but the Buckeyes got the best of OU in 1983, winning 24-14. Oklahoma boasts seven national titles, 44 conference titles, 28 bowl wins and five Heisman trophies. The Buckeyes have five national titles, 35 conference titles, 22 bowl wins and seven Heisman trophies.

5. Big time matchup

The Buckeyes are currently ranked No. 3 in the AP Poll after wins over Bowling Green and Tulsa. Oklahoma dropped from preseason No. 3 to No. 14 in the AP Poll after a season opening loss to Houston followed by a blowout victory over Louisiana-Monroe.

6. Heisman hopefuls

Saturday night’s game will feature two of college football’s most impressive quarterbacks in Ohio State’s J.T. Barrett and Oklahoma’s Baker Mayfield. Barrett and Mayfield were both named to the 2016 Davey O’Brien National Quarterback Award Watch List in July. Both signal callers also have aspirations of being in New York for the Heisman Trophy presentation at the end of the season. 

7. Ohio-born coaches

Two of the nation’s most respected and successful head coaches, both Ohio natives, will face off on Saturday. Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops was 179-46 in 17 seasons heading into the 2016 season. He has one national title and seven Big 12 championships. Stoops is the longest tenured coach in college football, with 2016 being his 18th season with the Sooners. Ohio State coach Urban Meyer was 154-27 heading into this season, with three national titles. Meyer boasts a 32-2 record against Big Ten opponents and a national title in the four years he’s been at Ohio State.

8. Old memories

Stoops and Meyer faced off in the 2009 BCS championship game, where Meyer's Florida team, led by Tim Tebow, defeated the Sooners 24-14 at Dolphins Stadium in Miami, Florida. 

9. Blue bloods

Ohio State and Oklahoma ranked as the top two programs on AP's all-time Top 100 list released in early August. The Buckeyes came in first with 1,112 points, while the Sooners came in second with 1,055 points.

10. What's a Buckeye, anyways?

What's a buckeye? A buckeye is a brown nut that comes from the buckeye tree, Ohio's state tree. Ohio State has been called the "Buckeyes" since 1950.