Oklahoma football: Rodney Anderson scores four touchdowns in impressive performance against West Virginia

• 0
Rodney Anderson celebrates

Junior running back Rodney Anderson celebrates the first touchdown of the game against West Virginia Nov. 25. He will be one of four attendees for Oklahoma at Big 12 media days.

Embattled with injuries in the last two seasons and seeing hardly any playing time in the beginning of the season, sophomore running back Rodney Anderson ended the 2017 regular season on a high note.

He showed his talent again in Oklahoma's (11-1, 8-1 Big 12) 59-31 victory over West Virginia (7-5, 5-4 Big 12) where he scored four touchdowns in the first half and ran for a total of 118 yards on 13 attempts.

He has seemingly outdone himself every week with his playmaking ability, running for 833 yards over the last seven game stretch after recording just 34 yards in the first five games to start the season. 

"When things get down you can't get down with them," Anderson said. "I just try to keep my eyes on the prize and just keep going forward and keep doing the best I can do for the team."

Whether it is busting out long runs or making dives into the end zone, Anderson's athleticism has helped the Sooners find success. He recorded his second multi-rushing touchdown game of the season Saturday. His first came against TCU when he ran for two touchdowns and caught two touchdowns, again all in the first half.

"He fought through all the adversity early in his career," coach Lincoln Riley said. "He's kind of just hung in there. He didn't pout like a lot of people would when things didn't go his way earlier in the season and those other guys played a little bit more. And then when he got his opportunities — kind of starting with the Texas game — he made plays, gained confidence, and we gained confidence in him and he's just continually gotten better and better."

With all the credit being given to him for the athletic plays he's made lately, Anderson said the blocking his offensive line has done has been important in his success.

The O-line isn't the only group blocking for Anderson when he breaks out for a big run, though. Anderson picked up a block from freshman wide receiver CeeDee Lamb during his second touchdown run against the Mountaineers that helped him make it into the end zone.

"My receivers are just as good of blockers because every time I get in the open field I can always find a receiver to run off of," Anderson said. "They're always giving 100 percent."

The success Anderson has found has been an important part of the Sooners' offense as he has become a go-to not only in the ground game, but also as a target for senior quarterback Baker Mayfield.

"I just try to do my best," Anderson said. "That's all I can do."

Abby Bitterman is a journalism and political science senior covering sports for The Daily.