Oklahoma football: President David Boren calls Big 12 ‘disadvantaged’ — again — after championship deregulation vote

• 5
David Boren

OU President David Boren speaks at the Board of Regents meeting Dec. 1. Boren's proposed penny tax initiative would increase Oklahoma's sales tax by one cent.

OU President David Boren said the Big 12 is disadvantaged compared to other conferences because it does not have at least 12 members, a conference network and a conference championship game in a statement to The Daily Wednesday.

"The Big 12 is disadvantaged when compared to the other conferences in three ways. We do not have at least twelve members, we do not have a conference network, and we do not have a championship game. I think that all three of these disadvantages need to be addressed at the same time. Addressing only one without addressing all three will not be adequate to improve the strength of the conference," the statement read.

Boren's comments came after the NCAA reached a compromise to deregulate conference championship games Wednesday, allowing FBS conferences to hold title games with fewer than 12 members.

The ruling allows the Big 12, the only Power Five conference with fewer than 12 members, to implement a championship game without expanding.

The Big 12 is the only Power Five conference without a conference television network, as well.

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said in a statement that he will discuss the decision with conference presidents and athletic directors. They are scheduled to meet Feb. 4.

"I appreciate that what was acted upon today takes into account our unique 10-team, full round-robin scheduling model. However, this vote does not automatically mean the Big 12 will implement a football championship game," he said.

The Big 12 played a neutral-site championship game from 1996 to 2010 before its membership dwindled below 12 schools with the departures of Texas A&M, Missouri, Nebraska and Colorado.

The championship deregulation decision mandates the Big 12 keep its round-robin regular season schedule if it implements a title game without expanding.

The Daily reached out to Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione but he declined to comment, opting to let Bowlsby speak on behalf of the Big 12.