Oklahoma football: Former Sooner Ty Darlington challenges student section to have an impact against Ohio State

• 0
Ty Darlington

Senior center Ty Darlington stares at the opposing Oklahoma State University warm-ups before the bedlam rivalry game at Boone Pickens Stadium, Saturday, Nov. 28, 2015. Darlington was not selected in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Former Sooners' center Ty Darlington issues a challenge to the OU faithful — specifically the student section — late Tuesday night. 

I was never a big believer in homefield advantage. I scoffed at the notion that a fan could actually have an impact on a football game. You have a hostile crowd? Good. I feed off of hostile crowds, and I embrace it when fans ridicule me. You think you’re loud? Whatever. We use a silent count anyways, and noise is only a factor on three to four plays a game. Your homefield advantage is incredibly overrated. Bring it on. You’re wasting your breath.

And then I ran out of the tunnel in Knoxville, Tennessee, FOR WARMUP and was greeted by thousands of screaming fans and the chorus of “Rocky Top.”The game wasn’t set to start for over an hour, and these people seemed to think it was kickoff time. I exited the tunnel for the pregame warm-up, and those psychotic students were already there, giving us a small preview of what to expect in the hours to come. What had we gotten ourselves into?

I have a question for you, Sooner Nation. Are you there to be entertained? Or are you there to participate? Are we playing 11 on 11? Or 85,000 on 11?

You can read Darlington's full post here.