Oklahoma football: DJ Ward proposes to girlfriend before Sooners' win over West Virginia

• 0

Defensive end DJ Ward came last in the Sooners' pregame senior day festivities, but that didn't stop him from stealing the show.

Ward stood on the field with his family and waited to ask a special someone a big question. As the team went down the line, the momentum kept building. Once the announcers got to Ashton Julious, Ward said he knew the moment was close and he kept rehearsing what he was about to say in his head.

"It was nerve-racking," Ward said.

When it was Ward's turn to be recognized, he got down on one knee and asked his girlfriend of five years, Taylor Moore, to marry him.

She said yes.

Ward said he was more nervous about asking her than he was about the game, and after it was over he was "extremely motivated" to play.

The proposal in front of 86,117 fans in Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium had been in the works for a little while.

Ward asked Riley two weeks earlier if he could propose during the senior day festivities, and Riley said ok because he wasn't worried about any potential distraction it would cause.

"If anybody was not going to let it get to him it would be DJ Ward," Riley said. "I said 'You know what, shoot yeah do it man.'"

When it got closer to the time for Ward to pop the big question, though, Riley said jokingly he was nervous about whether or not she'd say yes. Ward assured him that Moore had been waiting for him to propose.

"We gave him a game ball after," Riley said. "We told him he had the biggest win of the night."

The proposal came as a shock to his fellow seniors, though.

Senior quarterback Baker Mayfield had no idea of Ward's plan, which Ward himself said he hadn't told many people about.

"He's sneaky," Mayfield said. "Really it's a very big stage for him. I'm proud of him, honestly, happy for him that she said yes."

Senior defensive end Ogbonnia Okoronkwo said he had an idea Ward was going to pop the big question.

"It was beautiful," Okoronkwo said. "He's been with her since we got here. When I saw it actually happen I was like 'Wow I'm old.'"

Abby Bitterman is a journalism and political science senior covering sports for The Daily.