top story

Oklahoma football: Devante Bond expected to return against Texas Tech

• 0

Oklahoma linebacker Devante Bond returned to practice this week and is expected to play against Texas Tech Saturday, defensive coordinator Mike Stoops said Tuesday.

Bond appeared in Oklahoma’s first four contests before sustaining a left ankle injury during OU’s Oct. 3 home date with West Virginia. Through those first four games, Bond totaled 18 tackles, two sacks, a forced fumble and a blocked field goal.

Bond has been good so far in his return, and both of his absences were game-time decisions, junior linebacker Dominique Alexander said.

Alexander said senior P.L. Lindley did a great job, however, filling in for Bond.

“When you have a great player like Devante, of course, you’re going to be missing something,” Alexander said. “There’s just so much he can bring to the table, the way he drops in the flats, the way he can come off the edge and do his job in the run game. But I feel like P.L. did a great job for him, and we’re happy to have (Devante) back this week.”

There’s little Bond could do about his situation, which he understood, Alexander said.

Senior Eric Striker noted Bond’s competitive spirit didn’t make the past two weeks easy, and he didn’t enjoy his time off of the field, Striker said.

Lindley stepped in and started both games Bond missed. The fellow senior linebacker recorded a tackle for loss and a pass breakup in OU’s road game at Kansas State and three tackles and a tackle for loss in OU’s loss to Texas.

Bond will return Saturday, however, in OU’s homecoming game when they face Texas Tech’s pass-happy offense.

Striker believes Bond will bring a little extra when he returns to action, he said.

“I know it’s tough on him for a competitor,” Striker said. “He’s a really big competitor. Once he gets back, he’s going to have some steam on him.”