Oklahoma football: Bob Stoops gives update on Samaje Perine's injury

• 1
Samaje Perine runs to the endzone

Junior running back Samaje Perine runs toward the south endzone during the first quarter of the game against Kansas State Oct. 15.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said running back Samaje Perine has a slightly pulled muscle after the Sooners' win over Kansas State.

The star running back left the game during Sooners' second possession in what was an easy 38-17 win. Perine had a receiving touchdown on the first drive.

"If forced to play, he could have," Stoops said.

No. 19 Oklahoma (4-2, 3-0 Big 12) didn't have much of a problem with Perine on the bench. Kansas State (3-3, 1-2 Big 12) couldn't stop the Sooners' offense, which totaled 510 total yards.

Perine was examined on the sideline after the injury, but he never took off his pads. He returned to the sideline in the second half but did not carry his helmet around as the Sooners were comfortably ahead. 

Perine entered the game just 596 yards short of the school rushing record. He picked up 14 more on Saturday before leaving the game.

With Perine out of commission, the Sooners leaned on sophomore Joe Mixon and true freshman Abdul Adams. Offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley said he didn't alter his play calling much because of the injury.

"Luckily, it doesn't change a ton," offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley said. "We've got Joe, and we have a ton of confidence in Abdul."

Mixon appeared to be shaken up as well in the second half, but he returned to the game. 

"Does it change maybe some of the style of runs here or there? Sure," Riley said. "But those guys did a great job."

If Perine can return for next week, he could get back on track to breaking the record. Texas Tech has one of the worst rush defenses in the country, allowing 301 yards and seven touchdowns on the ground in a loss to Arizona State earlier this year.

Update: This story was updated to include quotes from offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley.

Jesse Pound is a journalism and economics senior and the Editor in Chief of The Daily. He has previously worked as a business intern at The Oklahoman and The San Antonio Express-News.