NFL Draft 2019: What Kyler Murray said after being drafted No. 1 overall in 2019 NFL Draft

• 0
Kyler Murray

Kyler Murray looks at the camera before the spring game April 12.

In a press conference in Nashville, just hours after Kyler Murray was drafted No. 1 overall by the Arizona Cardinals in the 2019 NFL Draft, reporters are still asking questions of his baseball future.

Murray can now comfortably answer baseball questions with his new team.

“My only future is in football right now,” Murray said.

From competing for the starting job with fellow Cardinals quarterback Josh Rosen to working with fellow Texas Tech — now Cardinals — head coach Kliff Kingsbury, here's what Murray had to say after being drafted into the NFL.

On his relationship with QB Josh Rosen and potentially competing with him

Cardinals quarterback Josh Rosen was drafted No. 10 overall in the 2018 NFL Draft, and was expected to be the franchise leader. With the 2019 No. 1 pick, there's going to be competition for that leadership role.

“For me, my job is to come in every day, work hard and get better each and every day and do what I can to make this team better," Murray said. "I’ve known Josh since high school, so me and him are cool. We got along really well, so I’ve always been fond of him, but you know us being teammates now, I can’t control anything but going in there and working hard.”

On how excited he is to play for Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury

“I cannot wait. Me and him have had a relationship since I was like 15 years old. This is something we’ve talked about for a long time. It’s been a long time coming. God works in mysterious ways. For me to be playing for him now is a surreal feeling.”

On why Kingsbury’s offense is a tailor-made fit for him

“Coming from similar offenses and knowing the type of style that we run in the Big 12, and he knows what I’m capable of. So, having a coach that believes in you and is going to be behind you, not playing on eggshells and stuff like that, him knowing what I’m capable of and him wanting me to go out there and let it loose, like I will, it’s good to have that connection.”

On his relationship with Kingsbury throughout college

“Obviously, he’s busy coaching and I’m busy playing, but he sent me text messages quite often throughout the season just checking on me and making sure I was good. He saw me play and he congratulated me on how well I was playing. Just knowing that he was always there and we still had that relationship, so now it’s a great deal.”

On Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes being a product of a similar offense and seeing his success last year

“Obviously, Patrick is Patrick, and he’s in a different place with the Chiefs, so I can’t really speak on what they’re doing. I’ve watched a lot of film and they’ve obviously been creative as far as offense goes. He’s a great player, but as far as me and the Cardinals go, we’re going to have to work hard. It’s going to take a lot of work. Winning is not easy, but I believe that we can be great.”

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.