NFL Draft 2019: Marquise Brown lands in Baltimore, Cody Ford goes to Buffalo — full OU draft results

• 0
Marquise Brown

Junior wide receiver Marquise Brown runs the ball in the game against West Virginia Nov. 23.

Eight former Sooners were selected in the 2019 NFL Draft — the most since 2005 (11). 

Former Oklahoma quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray stole the show, going No. 1 overall to the Arizona Cardinals. With Murray going No. 1, Oklahoma is now tied with USC and Notre Dame for the most No. 1 picks in the draft ever at five. 

But while Murray has gotten most of the attention, seven other Sooners also found homes. 

Wide receiver Marquise Brown joined Murray in the first round, going to the Baltimore Ravens with the 25th pick. Brown will join Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson — the 2016 Heisman Trophy winner — as he continues to go from one Heisman-winning quarterback to another. 

"Marquise's story is well-documented. What are the chances a guy who had to walk to work and fight his way just to get to junior college ends up being the first receiver taken? I'm thrilled for him and his opportunity," Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley said. "He's going to bring a lot to the Baltimore Ravens. Their fans will love his explosiveness, which we really came to appreciate the last couple of years at Oklahoma."

Brown was followed by offensive lineman Cody Ford, who went No. 38 to the Buffalo Bills. Ford was expected to go in the first round, but slid to the early second. The Bills were in desperate need of a powerful offensive lineman and they got it in Ford. 

"I'm thrilled for Cody. He had to overcome a ton here at OU with the really bad injury against Ohio State in his first year and then moving positions," Riley said. "He's one of the nastiest offensive linemen I've ever coached, and I think he was probably the most dominant tackle in the country last year. Seeing him now as a high draft pick is amazing. His best ball is in front of him."

Bobby Evans, Dru Samia, Ben Powers, Austin Seibert and Rodney Anderson were also all drafted over the weekend. Here's where each former Sooner landed. 

NFL Draft 2019:

QB Kyler Murray — No. 1, Arizona Cardinals

WR Marquise Brown — No. 25, Baltimore Ravens

OL Cody Ford — No. 38, Buffalo Bills

OL Bobby Evans — No. 97, Los Angeles Rams

OL Dru Samia — No. 114, Minnesota Vikings

OL Ben Powers — No. 123, Baltimore Ravens

K Austin Seibert — No. 170, Cleveland Browns

RB Rodney Anderson — No. 211, Cincinnati Bengals

Undrafted free agents:

Amani Bledsoe — Tennessee Titans

Curtis Bolton — Green Bay Packers

Carson Meier — Jacksonville Jaguars 

Marcelias Sutton — Seattle Seahawks

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.

I joined The Daily in the fall of 2016 as a sophomore. I've covered the soccer team, both men's and women's basketball, as well as the football team for the past two years. I have been the sports editor since spring 2018.