2019 MLB Draft: Oklahoma's Brylie Ware drafted in 23rd round by St. Louis Cardinals

• 0
Brylie Ware

Senior third baseman Brylie Ware rounds first base during the game against Texas May 17.

Former Sooner third baseman Brylie Ware was selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 23rd round (695th pick) of the 2019 MLB Draft.

Ware just finished his third year in the crimson and cream after transferring from Neosho County Community College before the 2017 season. The Sedgwick, Kansas, native maintained a .311 batting average from 2017 to 2019 and was named to the Big 12 Second Team in 2018 and Preseason All-Big 12 Team in 2019.

The third baseman’s signature moments in his final campaign with the Sooners included a handful of diving stops at third base, a walk-off single against TCU on April 5 and a series against Texas on May 16-17 in which he had eight hits, six runs scored, three RBIs and a pair of home runs.

He has also served as the team leader, freshman Diego Muniz said after the 7-6 walk-off win against TCU on April 5.

“He’s our guy,” Muniz said. “We talk about it in the locker room, we want him up there a hundred times out of a hundred times. He’s our senior, we look up to him, he’s our leader. He’s like every other guy, though.”

Three days before the walk-off hit, Ware failed to come through in a similar situation in an eventual extra innings loss against Oral Roberts. After that game, head coach Skip Johnson still made it clear who the team’s best hitter was.

“You’re our best hitter,” he recalled saying to Ware. “That’s who we want up.”

On May 12, Ware became the 41st Sooner to record 100 hits, 100 runs and 100 RBIs in a career. Ware meanwhile, along with fellow senior Blake Brewster, said he’s just another one of the ‘Joe’s.’