Letter to the Editor: Racist video raises questions about greek life

• 2
Unheard Demonstration

Students, faculty, news stations and Norman residents gather outside of Evans Hall Monday morning for OU Unheard's Demonstration. Unheard announced the plans sunday night for the demonstration Monday morning at 7:30 a.m. in response to a video featuring a racist chant by SAE was leaked online. 

I am currently an African American online student at the University of Oklahoma. My mother was from Mississippi and to escape this type of racism, they moved to Oklahoma, “the land of the free." 

Looks like even in the 21st century, we cannot escape this type of thing. This is truly sad! Why is it some people think that discrimination is right? Why is it that just because God made us of a different color, some people feel they are more superior and they can call people of color names?

I do salute President Boren for the way he is handling this, however, if this video would not have leaked out, would this type of action still be going on?

Does anyone even monitor these fraternities to see what they are doing and what they are about? How long has this been going on? It doesn’t matter if it is the largest fraternity, what gives any one the right (black or white) to try and degrade, dehumanize or slander me because of the color of my skin. A person is not and never should be judged by the color of their skin but the “content of their character!”

Eydie