Replacing the fashion industry's definition of "nude" - OUDaily.com: Editorials

• May 24, 2016
  • Replacing the fashion industry's definition of "nude"

Print
    Font Size:
    Default font size
    Larger font size

Posted: Monday, September 8, 2014 6:15 pm

Our View: We encourage our readers to actively redefine “nude” and consider the subtle examples of racism they encounter every day.

Imagine this: you are a young African American woman who has run to the local department store to grab a “nude” colored bra to wear under a sheer outfit, say a game-day dress or a work interview blouse. But when you get to the store there is no “nude” lingerie, at least not for you. Bras in slightly different shades of pale peach abound, but there are few to no options for darker-skinned women and they aren’t advertised as nude-colored. How would it make you feel that the fashion industry and society at large has based its ideal of nude on Caucasian people? That the color of your skin doesn’t count as “nude?”

Fortunately, one lingerie company is shining a light on this glaring discrepancy and is actively redefining nude. Nubian Skin creates nude lingerie and hosiery for women of color and is built on the foundation that all women should have access to the same beauty products. The concept is so new that the brand’s online storefront hasn’t launched yet, but we posit the company will do quite well. After all, it is filling a hole in the market that larger lingerie brands have chosen to overlook.

Nubian Skin’s mission to bring nude products to women who aren’t white made us think about other subtle examples of white privilege we see in stores every day. For example, whenever you’ve had a minor cut or scrape and gone to reach for a Band-Aid, have you every used one that wasn’t made for light-skinned people? We guess probably not because flesh-colored Band-Aids for darker-skinned people don’t seem to exist.

Or think about nearly every advertisement you’ve ever seen for “nude” makeup or “flesh-colored” clothing? What exactly was the tone of those flesh colors? Almost definitely not shades of brown or anything darker than a pale pink, which is ridiculous considering nearly a third of the U.S. population was non-white as of the 2010 census

We aren’t trying to condemn the entire fashion industry or all manufacturers of commercial goods as intentionally racist. What we are saying is there are subtle instances of racism ingrained into our daily lives; instances so commonplace they often go unnoticed. We commend Nubian Skin for recognizing the need for nude products that accurately represent nude for people who aren’t white.

We encourage all of our readers to think critically about the small instances of racial bias they encounter each and every day. While you may not have ever had to deal with being unable to find flesh-colored products in the actual color of your skin, it is the reality of commercialism for millions of Americans.  

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
    • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
    • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
    • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
    • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
    • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

51 comments:

• RePete posted at 11:32 am on Fri, Aug 14, 2015.

RePete Posts: 1

Here's the thing, and this is just the world as it is but does not have to remain, the vast majority of U.S. companies are and have been, white founded and white run. This is not racist by nature just is, and let's be honest, many white people are highly motivated and almost sinfully driven to succeed, not all but many. It is also true that black Americans have gotten a late start out of the gate, but not any longer and the race is on (if one really wants to call it that, but let's agree that a "race" is a good analogy for business in a market economy) and black owned and operated businesses are on the rise. Now, as far as this particular article goes, I cannot find fault with the female underwear industry for not providing a diverse shade of undergarments. White business owners and operators do not get up every morning thinking "what can I do to market to Blacks, Asians, Jews, Hispanics etc. etc. maybe some do, and I I am sure that it p[ays off over time for them. How this should be viewed in a market economy is not as "racism" but an OPPORTUNITY! This is a niche and a need that needs to be filled, and has obviously gone unfilled up to this point, which seems kind of odd that something so basic as "undies" in diverse skin tones is only being brought up now. But an opportunity it is, to be sure. The author of this article, instead of crying "RACISM, RACISM" should have quietly wrote out a business plan, a marketing strategy and partnered with a young up and coming (newly graduated and of color would be best I think for obvious reasons) fashion designer and got busy FILLING THAT NICHE. Then, when the world came knocking for that "better mouse trap" would have been the most opportune time to say that "you know, I noticed not just a need, but some subtle racism here, so filled that gap!" This is how capitalism and a market economy works, and those that see a need and OPPORTUNITY will be those that rise to the top, and in this arena color, race, nationality etc. means nothing, only good ideas and motivated spirits backed by humble but strong character will indicate the potential for success. In a nutshell, either whine or work, it's up to you, but if you choose to whine, I will always see you as part of the problem, not the solution.

• angela posted at 12:10 pm on Mon, Aug 10, 2015.

angela Posts: 3

I'm very critical about matching clothes but last time I checked lingerie is supposed to match your clothes not your skin and a band aid is a band aid.

• angela posted at 12:05 pm on Mon, Aug 10, 2015.

angela Posts: 3

Black, nude, white etc bras are sold...period. None of them aren't meant to match your skin color...they are meant to match your attire.

• angela posted at 12:03 pm on Mon, Aug 10, 2015.

angela Posts: 3

I commend the authors for shedding some light on this subject. However I am a very objective person and think that "racist" is being used strongly or inappropriate here. Being Caucasian and 4th generation Italian American...i have never thought of a band aid as flesh colored, at least not mine. Its ugly band aid brand flesh colored and has never matched my skin...maybe I should create an "Olive-toned" band aid or bra? Last time I checked, nude doesn't represent skin color..it represents a color. Nude bras are used to wear under light clothing. Rather than pointing out some very interesting points, maybe these intelligent people should be designing some bandages, lingerie, etc in more skin colors than "caucasian-catered"...it's a free world.

• PC2015 posted at 11:58 am on Mon, Aug 10, 2015.

PC2015 Posts: 1

This is not critical thinking. This is silly gibberish. There is nothing subtle here. Your looking to criticize any aspect of society you wish and reaching for Pluto while you do it. You are painting a picture that doesn't exist. If someone hasn't catered to a particular group then let an entrepreneur tap into that opportunity. But to call it subtle racism ... your thinking like all the rest of the rejects that look for the race card any way they can even when it is not blatantly there. Have no worry because you'll be kicked off your horse when the master of political correctness, Obumma the inept, leaves the Black House. Oh, I mean White House ... I didn't want to make subtle suggestions of racism by saying "White" House. Maybe we should change the name of that too. Knock off the silly talk of white privilege. I am tired of that nonsense. If you don't do anything with yourself and get no where its your fault 99% of the time. Take some personal responsibility people, stop playing the race card with everything, and get out of your politically correct world that does nothing but cloud your judgment every day of your life.

• naturedocs posted at 9:11 am on Mon, Aug 10, 2015.

naturedocs Posts: 2

And anyone saying, "Black bras are sold" has no comprehension of the argument that the article is making. Am I right?

• naturedocs posted at 9:08 am on Mon, Aug 10, 2015.

naturedocs Posts: 2

Somehow, this article went "viral" on right-wing websites. The authors of this article are college students doing an excellent job of what college students should be doing--thinking critically and posing questions. I commend them. For the people who don't have anything better to do than slam a college newspaper....I guess I feel sorry for them. Anyway, it was interesting read. To the authors: don't let the naysayers discourage you. Kudos for giving us something new to think about. Some people will always have a problem thinking about new or unconventional ideas. And if they don't like thinking about things, then they don't like to think, do they? Sad. Keep up the good work!

• Bee posted at 4:19 pm on Sun, Aug 9, 2015.

Bee Posts: 1

Really, OU? It's either one side or the other I see. Sorry, but I'm not going to support racism on either end. A nude bra's color is dependent on the person getting the bra. There is nothing racist in the retail or makeup industry when it comes to "nude". If you're really letting something as simple as a term of a bra color affect you then you need to reevaluate your life.

• krh posted at 7:57 am on Sun, Aug 9, 2015.

krh Posts: 1

What is wrong with the world? As usual someone who has nothing better to do has to find racisim in a dam bra..really people get a life..stop creating conflict in others lives..i have had enought of the bullshit..you dont like something thats your choice..but dont push it on others and make a mountain out of a mole hill..there are a million colors in the world..just because you arent happy your life doesnt mean you have to cause others to hate something at stupid as a color..get over your self

• linda posted at 3:11 pm on Sat, Aug 8, 2015.

linda Posts: 1

what is going to be next, I don't understand what is going on nowadays, some people are trying to making everything is raciest; I am so sick of reading about all this stuff

• BarbaraH posted at 7:35 pm on Wed, Apr 1, 2015.

BarbaraH Posts: 1

Nude is a color..so are black bras racist too? What about red and yellow bras for that matter?

• mmarela posted at 8:30 am on Wed, Apr 1, 2015.

mmarela Posts: 1

STOP IT!! JUST STOP IT!!! This is a very irresponsible article and purely hurtful to the work being done to have all folks live in harmony. I am white, lilly white, and I have bras of all shades. Light nude, dark nude, black, green, aqua, red, pink, grey, purple, etc. What are you trying to subversively achieve? Just STOP IT!! What about makeup? I buy makeup from the lighter shade counters to the ebony shades counter. We do NOT need the likes of you stirring up division. This is wasteful and hurtful. STOP IT!!!

• pippy posted at 8:21 am on Wed, Apr 1, 2015.

pippy Posts: 1

What utter rubbish!! They do sell black bras in stores!!

• Leissa posted at 7:38 am on Wed, Apr 1, 2015.

Leissa Posts: 1

This irritates me. Can't she find something real to whine and complain about? Let's talk about starving and neglected children. Let's talk about abuse. This young woman needs to get over herself. I have a multitude of different colored bras in my dresser. Is a company racist when they have many colors to choose from? I can go into any store and pull a variety of colors off the shelf. I suspect she can as well.

• mikegoodman59 posted at 4:26 am on Wed, Apr 1, 2015.

mikegoodman59 Posts: 1

You blacks are RACIST to bring this up. Start your own bra company. Become VP of marketing at Playtex. With all that's going in in the world? THIS is the hill you are willing to die on? That @$$h0!3 who shouted that stuff deserves what he gets. And you know what? So do you. Find something profitable to do with hour time. Have something to show for your 4 yea... ... err 6 years ... getting a useless degree.

• Lucy posted at 4:23 am on Wed, Apr 1, 2015.

Lucy Posts: 3

"Finding the Right Nude
      Women come in all different shades so one woman's nude isn't going to be the same as another's. Many nude bras come in lighter shades, but that doesn't mean that you need to buy a lighter nude if it doesn't match your skin tone. Make sure that you pick a nude bra that most closely matches your skin to get the best results. Luckily, there is a wide range of creams, tans, taupes and espressos to complement any woman's skin tone." Jun 07, 2013, Livestrong website

As you see, the market is flooded with solutions for every skin color and even skin tone. Nope, no racism. It's in companies' interest to sell more, not less, so they would be the first at a loss. Market works on supply and demand. You have to learn about that, before jumping to conclusions. For example if one goes to a store to buy shoes and doesn't find in his size, you don't automatically assume they're discriminating against people of that foot size. It means that maybe that foot size is rarer to come by, even if there is a sizable percent of people who have that problem, they are spread throughout, and it's not viable for all stores, especially small ones, to hold that size if it doesn't sell well enough. And they also have to sell it before it goes out of fashion, which may happen pretty fast by today's market standards. Believe me, I know people with this problem, and they have to order shoes especially made for them, and spend a lot on that, too. The fact is that stores supply according to their demand. And they always address the largest segments of their customers, because that's business.
      All in all, this article is a big distortion of reality, and it's a pity that the media tries to raise discord like this between people. Use your reason and you'll see it's all political manipulation.

• JimD posted at 2:22 am on Wed, Apr 1, 2015.

JimD Posts: 1

Does this woman know she can buy bra's in any of several hundred colors?

If the bra is racist, then what are her fingernails since they're painted white!

Are her white teeth racist too?

The whites of her eyes racist?

Amazing what media will give attention to!

• TheDOTKU posted at 11:43 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

TheDOTKU Posts: 2

It was 15 years ago that New York entrepreneur Michael Panayiotis created Ebon-Aid. The orange box read: "The bandage exclusively designed for people of color," and they came in shades called black licorice, coffee brown, cinnamon, and honey beige. *Maybe ask Your local store to carry them now that You have noticed they don't*

• TheDOTKU posted at 11:38 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

TheDOTKU Posts: 2

http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Armour-Adhesive-Bandages-Colored/dp/B0077MTXY8 *hint* Bandaids come in EVERY color even Spongebob.

• barbie1223 posted at 7:50 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

barbie1223 Posts: 1

If you are black, then you buy a black bra. I am positive that an african american woman wearing a black bra under a sheer shirt will not have her undergarments noticed. Not to mention that they also make more caramel of a color for bras.

There is an actual color designated the name "nude" (a shade darker than champagne, but lighter than sand and may have a slight peach tone). Nude is not somehow a reference to white power. It is simply a color.

• bettymnboop posted at 5:54 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

bettymnboop Posts: 1

Grow up people and stop all this! What next are they going to complain about that toilet paper is racist because it is white!!

• Judy posted at 4:49 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

Judy Posts: 1

I guess that makes black bras racist to. Oh wait...and wouldn't it make red bras racist as well? Stupid is as stupid does.......

• Lucy posted at 3:46 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

Lucy Posts: 3

Pardon me, but I know there were already brown nude bras on the market. You need only search and you'll find. Google is your friend, and I think the shop assistants can help you too.
      Not to even speak about cosmetics, where it's very well known there are countless ranges of special shades for black skin.
      I even found dark band aids, too.
      This article is completely dishonest!

http://www.thestyleandbeautydoctor.com/2011/07/myskins-com-nude-underwear-in-20-skin-matching-shades/

https://www.victoriassecret.com/bras/the-neutral-shop

http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Armour-Adhesive-Bandages-Colored/dp/B00GOFTIO4

http://livingcivil.com/louboutin-introduces-nude-pump-line/

http://www.designsnext.com/nude-nail-polish/

http://www.paperspecs.com/pantones-110-shades-of-nude/

See? Need only search. No need for witch burning.

• KansasGirl posted at 3:32 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

KansasGirl Posts: 1

There are a myriad of colors to choose from...geez.

• Lucy posted at 3:10 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

Lucy Posts: 3

I even found dark band aids, too.

This article is completely dishonest!

• bmullis posted at 3:07 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

bmullis Posts: 1

I had to look up this article to actually see if the absurdity was real. I wish I could get the last 2 minutes back. Such a waste of space.

• emptyspiral13 posted at 2:44 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

emptyspiral13 Posts: 1

I'm pretty sure nude is the word used may have something to do with the fact that it is almost literally "nude of color." At least that's how I see it. And bringing makeup into this? There are all KINDS of shades for different skin tones. I think this university needs to spend more time on educating their students instead of putting this nonsense into their heads. I don't want to see any more riots in Ferguson over nude bras.

• mary posted at 1:45 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

mary Posts: 1

Back in the 1950's and 60's, I encountered a lot of racism..
      Martin Luther King was an example to be held up for both whites and blacks.
      There are very few, living today, who have had to deal with the type of racism, spoken of back then. The whole racism thing that's going on now, is no more than sensationalism. The propaganda, being thrown at us, now is "Political Propaganda", and has NO REAL BASIS.I have met a few, much older than myself, who yet have a fear and distrust, of anyone who is different from themselves.. They are both blacks and whites.. I am 67 years old, I'm guessing near the age of Mr Sharpton. If he grew up in the city, he met with a lot more unrest, than I found deep in rural America. But my guess is that he is drawing almost all of his knowledge from things he has read, and has little, if any REAL knowledge, of what the situation was.
      I agree, there were HORRENDOUS times. But not one American, today, white or black, had anything to do with events during times of slavery.
      It was in the SOUTH, where the slave owners operated. There were no BLACK slaves, in the North.. NO. They had the IRISH to oppress.. I am of IRISH DESCENT.
      Mr Sharpton, I have read much about the oppression of the Irish, too. It seems to me that every race/culture/nationality, in America,got here, origionally, under less than ideal circumstances, but you have to put the past in the past, and leave it there. Count your blessings, and get on with your life. You are grasping at straws, now, to keep your war going. If you ever would take the time to poll Americans, you'd find that you are trying to start riots, for no reason, except that you hate yourself, for some reason, and you need to blame your unhappiness on someone, and you won't admit that the problem is not with White America, but with closed minded Americans, both white and black.

Please, let go of this hatred, allow God into your life, and live out the rest of your years, a content happy man.
      God Bless You, Mr. Sharpton

• arbyone posted at 1:01 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

arbyone Posts: 1

I have just one question. When will you start printing your newspaper on non-racist black paper?

• formatteddad posted at 12:37 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

formatteddad Posts: 1

What an absurd article. There are no other words to describe it. I remember that they make black bra's too. Is that racist? I guess if a first responder finds a black person in need of medical attention they will be unable to assist unless they have some black bandages, gauze, and tourniquets. And I am sure that it is totally unacceptable for a black person to use a standard pink band aide. How utterly racist. Yes, I carry my heavy burden of white guilt and privilege everywhere I go. It is tough but I manage somehow. It must be sad to think about your skin color 24 hours a day and measure everything in the world with regards to it first and foremost.

• Kim posted at 12:15 pm on Tue, Mar 31, 2015.

Kim Posts: 1

yeah a race baiter for sure. Guess I should consider mocha, chocolate, coffee and black bras a form of racism against my color. lmbo. People find all reasons to claim racism

• Common Sense posted at 11:28 pm on Sat, Sep 20, 2014.

Common Sense Posts: 1

Race baiter.

• BoKnows posted at 1:01 pm on Sun, Sep 14, 2014.

BoKnows Posts: 1

ISIS might be able to help you out in enforcing your rigid ideas about women's clothing and how it somehow reinforces racism. In fact, I believe they will make you wear all black from head to toe. Would that be racist? Would it be subtle?

• mikeneil posted at 9:48 pm on Sat, Sep 13, 2014.

mikeneil Posts: 1

This op-ed is about as stupid as I have ever read. The PC movement is what creates this kind of garbage. White privilege, which I think is a ridiculous philosophy, is definitely NOT defined by bra color. Get a life.

• OUGb63a posted at 7:29 pm on Sat, Sep 13, 2014.

OUGb63a Posts: 1

It doesn't make me FEEL anything. Because unlike the perpetually offended class, I have a healthy control of my emotions and don't walk around looking for some made up injustice to get bent out of shape about. I realize I took a chance there that I may have just offended those unfortunate enough to not be able to "walk around" like those of us with mobility-priviledge... to say nothing of the injustice perpetuated by the bigoted shoe-industrial-complex devils that enable our offense. But I refuse to feel something about that too... other than maybe amusement.

• LadybugsTX posted at 4:05 pm on Sat, Sep 13, 2014.

LadybugsTX Posts: 1

You must be shopping at Wal-Mart instead of a department store, where choices are limited. At a real department store like JCP, you can find most bras in at least four colors, white, black, nude and mocha, and usually there's two different darker colors, generally named after chocolate or coffee. I'm assuming mocha is for darker skinned women. Seriously. You've went over the deep end over a word. Perhaps you'd feel better if the color was called "nude for whitey"... My bra line doesn't call the off white color nude, they call it latte, which is right in line with mocha. Get over yourself. Stop worrying about what you perceive whitey is doing to you and start worrying about what you're doing to yourselves. 6500 more black babies were aborted than were born in NY last year and 40% of abortions annually are performed on black women. Why don't you focus on that and the post-weekend shooting body count or you might wake up one morning and find that you're all alone because the black community has killed themselves off.

• Chris Thomas posted at 1:37 am on Sat, Sep 13, 2014.

Chris Thomas Posts: 1

Der der der racism

• Dan Watson posted at 10:08 pm on Fri, Sep 12, 2014.

Dan Watson Posts: 1

The vast majority of Oklahomans are clearly incapable of the sort of subtle and nuanced thought you describe, much less willing and able to place themselves within the perspective of someone of - gasp! - another color.

"We encourage all of our readers to think critically about the small instances of racial bias they encounter each and every day."

• texasoke posted at 2:51 pm on Fri, Sep 12, 2014.

texasoke Posts: 2

WELL said icjack.... i dont know about everyone else but I am sick of the word RACISIM and of the lenghts people go to start problems between the races... .spend time on learning new things and stop bringing up ignorant things like the Great Bra Color Conspiricy............

[smile]

• texasoke posted at 2:46 pm on Fri, Sep 12, 2014.

texasoke Posts: 2

Why publish this type of story that is bound to stir up more racisim ? this story says we cant have RED bras because of native americans,,,,No Black bras because of black women, no yellow Bras because of Chinese. no Blue bras because of Smurf's,,,,,,How ridicilous are we going to get about acussing BRAS of being racist and a white priviledge ?
      To me this is pure Ignorance and stirring the POT of RACISIM> GOD BLESS AMERICA.

• dgh posted at 2:39 pm on Fri, Sep 12, 2014.

dgh Posts: 1

once upon a time, this country was majority caucasian . get a grip.

• jfalduci posted at 1:18 pm on Fri, Sep 12, 2014.

jfalduci Posts: 1

Lol! There were nubian black bras way before there where peach tan whatever. Is this Al Sharpton's kid?

• lcjack posted at 10:42 am on Fri, Sep 12, 2014.

lcjack Posts: 1

This opinion piece tells me one thing: that there are people in this nation who will jump at any little thing to keep promoting discord between the races. Get over it. Get over the "everything must be PC or we'll sue!" attitude. Next I suppose that cats at Halloween will be considered racist because we call them black. When the name "nude" was given to underwear and makeup, it was not done in an effort to be racist. Accept it. Move on. By writing a piece like this, and publishing it in this forum, the writer is declaring that they themselves are racist. They don't want to learn to live side by side with others, no matter what their skin tone. I would expect more from a university in this day and age. We need to move beyond slavery - no one alive today is responsible for what happened over 150+ years ago. This country was making strides - great strides - forward until race baiters at the highest level began fomenting hatred. Be above that. Get over it and get along. I really don't want to have to rename every item in my wardrobe because someone in this country has a chip on their shoulder the size of a redwood. Oh, wait - is that racist?

• Corwin35 posted at 8:49 am on Fri, Sep 12, 2014.

Corwin35 Posts: 1

"Or think about nearly every advertisement you’ve ever seen for “nude” makeup or “flesh-colored” clothing? What exactly was the tone of those flesh colors?"

http://www.sephora.com/naked3-P384099?skuId=1573336&om_mmc=ppc-GG&mkwid=2fUDTGQ3&pcrid=50233217079&pdv=c&site=us_search&country_switch=us〈=en&gclid=Cj0KEQjws8qgBRCLp-aploLbqcQBEiQAm0rD50VW2m-U9r2LQ9ZszMXtMBA1yRw29scVLq3E1VNY1AgaAunw8P8HAQ

My wife tells me this is the most popular nude foundation palet on the market today. Looks like it spans the spectrum to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JeYw1Rqq_Q

Advertising is about making the most dollars with what you have to work with.

You say: "which is ridiculous considering nearly a third of the U.S. population was non-white as of the 2010 census."

Reason says: The statistic you posted doesn't say what you think it does, it says the exact opposite. It means that more than 66% of the population has one skin color. If I have one 30 second spread to reach and connect with a target audience and encourage them to give me money, that's who I'm targetting. The 66%+, not the 12 percent of african americans or the 15 percent of latinos or the 8 percent of asians. Reason would argue that advertisements are generally in direct proportion with the population. If 66% of our society were African American, 66%ish of advertisements would be directed towards those individuals that make up the majority and could purchase that product.

• beverlyh1970 posted at 11:31 pm on Thu, Sep 11, 2014.

beverlyh1970 Posts: 1

Why does something so innocuous as "nude" colored undergarments have to be racist? Why is everything racist? It's so ridiculous and so obvious that people are just trying way too hard to make things into something they are not! As a consumer and seller of makeup, I can tell you that makeup shades have not been shades of 'nude' or any other shade of Caucasian and "light pink" for an extremely long time. In both of the companies I represent, there is absolutely nothing that comes close to nude or any other "Caucasians only, other colors need not apply" type of title that excludes other skin tones. How silly would that be anyway, and what kind of sense would that make for makeup companies to exclude, as the author suggests, 1/3 of our customer base? Hello! Do you think Fashion and Makeup manufacturers are dumber than a box of rocks or what? These executives and leaders are not as oblivious as the author seems to imply, and despite the fact that there are undergarments, hosiery, and the like in nude, there are also many shades in colors like Taupe, Barely There, Cocoa, Barely Black, Cafe Au Lait, Natural, Travel Buff, Soft Taupe. Some have color "families": blacks, nudes, white, ivories, blues, browns, tapes, bronzes, dots, animals. By the way, I'm Caucasian myself and nudes in No Way are the right color for me. I fall somewhere between albino and white, or maybe more like ivory, so you can't assume that "nude" is a strictly Caucasian thing. Anyway, my point is, this isn't a racist issue. This is a few people trying to stir up trouble. Get over it. Fashion and make up is not a racism issue. People are racist and people are trying to race bait. Stop it! We don't need any more problems than we already have. I'm really happy that this company has found an apparent niche for themselves and I wish them all the best, because I'm a capitalist and everyone deserves a shot to make it, but really, they are jus trying to make a niche that isn't needed. None of us are animal skinned and not of us are polka dotted, but people still want funky colored bras and cool underwear and people need skin colored bras and yea, they exist. They don't need to be called nude for cappachino colored people. It's not racist if they aren't called nude for every color on the planet. Buck up people. It's a mean world and you are in for In for wild ride.

• Osama Obama posted at 9:34 pm on Thu, Sep 11, 2014.

Osama Obama Posts: 1

Did I just read some fatuous LIBERAL wrote that bras are RACIST? This might be one of the stupidest articles of all time. It makes Al Sharpton look like a model citizen..

• meaiii posted at 8:53 pm on Thu, Sep 11, 2014.

meaiii Posts: 1

africa was were men started ... why is it still the least developed and why are not most things invented there ? mmmm makes ya wonder ......

• BruceW posted at 8:38 pm on Thu, Sep 11, 2014.

BruceW Posts: 1

FYI, not all people who have a darker complexion are from Africa. I, my father, and his parents were all born and raised in the USA and we are darker complected. Our ancestors are originally from Haiti but that makes us no different from you. Unless you're Native American of course(I am 1/8 myself) then people could tell you to go back to England/Scotland/Ireland/Germany our wherever your lineage started. All life began in Africa. So technically you are an African descendant. How does that make you feel?

• MT posted at 8:20 pm on Thu, Sep 11, 2014.

MT Posts: 1

America has an exit door. Head back to Africa if you feel oppressed and take that POS POTUS Barry with you.

• Roger Cotton posted at 7:52 pm on Thu, Sep 11, 2014.

Roger Cotton Posts: 1

The blatant or macroaggression of racist blacks against whites is all too apparent, these days.

This article is a prime example. Citing as racist things that are not racist indicates an obsession with racism that is unhealthy.

The prevalence of Critical Race Theorists and White Privilege Bemoaners on university campuses has reached a saturation point.

• JBB posted at 6:44 pm on Thu, Sep 11, 2014.

JBB Posts: 1

As someone who used to work in a high end lingerie store, let me explain to you the point of a nude bra. It's really quite simple and has absolutely nothing to do with skin color. A nude bra is made in a light beige color because it's the only color that won't show through a lightly colored shirt. A white bra, for example, will show through a white shirt, so of course a dark colored bra would show through a white shirt. I sold nude bras to women of every skin color, because they understand the purpose of owning one. A nude bra is simply about making sure a woman's outfit is what's on display, rather than her undergarments.

Submit a letter

Submit a letter to the editor

Follow us on Facebook