Oklahoma football: Sooners get blown out by Ohio State

• 0
Baker Mayfield

Baker Mayfield walks on to the field before the game. The score at halftime was 35-17, Ohio State. This is the first time the Sooners haven't played the Buckeyes in over 30 years.

No. 14 Oklahoma was blown out on its home field Saturday night, losing to No. 3 Ohio State 45-24.

The Sooners (1-2) fell 14-0 early to the Buckeyes (3-0) and never caught up, with quarterback Baker Mayfield throwing two interceptions in the first half. A spectacular catch by Ohio State receiver Noah Brown put the Buckeyes up 35-17 just before halftime.

Ohio State scored on the first possession of the second half to push their lead to 25, putting to rest any hopes of a Sooners comeback.

The game, delayed 90 minutes by severe weather, started off with the Sooners driving deep into Ohio State territory. However, kicker Austin Seibert’s 27-yard field goal drilled the right upright and fell harmlessly to the ground.

From that point onward, it was all Buckeyes.

The Sooners couldn’t stop Ohio State on the ground, allowing 291 yards on 48 attempts. They also couldn’t stop Brown, who saw each of his first four catches go for touchdowns.

The Oklahoma offense never got into gear either. Mayfield finished 17-32 with two touchdowns and two interceptions. Meanwhile his counterpart, Ohio State’s J.T. Barrett, had 152 yards and four touchdowns through the air.

Both teams have off weeks next week before starting conference play Oct. 1. The Buckeyes will host Rutgers, and OU will travel to Fort Worth to play TCU.

Jesse Pound is a journalism and economics senior and the Editor in Chief of The Daily. He has previously worked as a business intern at The Oklahoman and The San Antonio Express-News.