Oklahoma football: Ohio State coach Urban Meyer talks about history with Bob Stoops, reaching out to Tom Herman

• 0
OU Helmet

The helmet worn by OU against Kansas in 2015. 

Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said in his press conference Monday that he has reached out to Houston head coach Tom Herman to help prepare for Saturday's game against Oklahoma.

Herman, who formerly was Meyer's offensive coordinator at Ohio State, coached the Cougars to a season opening victory against the Sooners.

"Yeah. We did talk to Tom. Just got their thoughts on personnel. Because you see what you see on videotape," Meyer said. "It was more about personnel because they have a couple of new players as well in the back end of their defense, and what's their thoughts on the defensive line."

Meyer has coached against Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops before. Meyer was the coach of Florida when the Gators beat the Sooners in the 2009 BCS National Championship game. 

Meyer said Stoops and Oklahoma were one of the first teams to shut down his offense, then led by quarterback Tim Tebow.

"That's one of the first times that  that's one of those sick feelings on the sidelines. Use language I can't use right here, like son of a... it's tough," Meyer said.

Meyer said it will be tough to run the ball against this year's Oklahoma defense because of the size of the Sooners' defensive line.

"You're not going to run you have to be really on your target to run the football on them. They're big, gigantic guys inside," Meyer said.

Meyer's Buckeyes are 2-0 and ranked No. 3 in the country, having easily beaten Bowling Green and Tulsa. This week's game kicks off at 6:30 p.m. Saturday on Fox.

Jesse Pound is a journalism and economics senior and the Editor in Chief of The Daily. He has previously worked as a business intern at The Oklahoman and The San Antonio Express-News.