Oklahoma football: FOX Sports offering virtual reality broadcast for Ohio State game

• 0
Jarvis Baxter

Senior wide receiver Jarvis Baxter avoids the ULM defense during Saturday's game at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. The Sooners defeated the Warhawks 59-17.

Fans will be able to watch a virtual reality broadcast of this weekend's game between No. 3 Ohio State and No. 14 Oklahoma, FOX Sports announced Tuesday

The virtual reality broadcast, which will be available to 95 million households, is the first live sporting event widely available in virtual reality, according to the press release. 

In order to access the special broadcast, fans need to download and install the FOX Sports VR app on their smartphone and log in using the same credentials they would use for the FOX Sports GO app.

The app, run by the virtual reality company LiveLike, allows users to choose from several different vantage points to watch the game and includes an in-stadium video board that plays the FOX broadcast of the game.

“LiveLike has a unique and compelling approach to the live-sports VR experience,” Devin Poolman, FOX Sports Senior Vice President of Digital Platforms said in the press release. “We are thrilled to work with them to bring this new technology to our viewers, and it is particularly meaningful that this experience requires only an iPhone or Android device, allowing us to bring VR to a larger audience than ever before.”

Jesse Pound is a journalism and economics senior and the Editor in Chief of The Daily. He has previously worked as a business intern at The Oklahoman and The San Antonio Express-News.