Oklahoma football: Backup QB Austin Kendall says Mayfield will 'light up' Buckeye's 'basic defense'

• 1
Austin Kendall

Freshman quarterback Austin Kendall prepares for the snap during the fourth quarter of the game against the University of Louisiana at Monroe Sept. 10. Kendall went 12-15 on passing.

As if they needed more, the Ohio State Buckeyes were given extra motivation Wednesday night, courtesy of Oklahoma's backup quarterback. 

Talking with SoonerSports' Chris Plank, freshman OU quarterback Austin Kendall said that he "thinks (Ohio State) has a really basic defense" and that "Baker (Mayfield) will light them up."

Originally pointed out on Twitter by Brandon Zimmerman, who writes for Ohio State blog Buckeye Battle Cry, Kendall later added that if his number is called he "could do the same."

Here's the full clip: 

Kendall saw his first collegiate playing time last week after taking over for Mayfield in second half against ULM. He went 12-for-15, passing for 108 yards and two touchdowns. 

Later Thursday, former NFL defensive tackle and current SEC Analyst Anthony McFarland sounded off on Kendall's comments.

For what it's worth, the Ohio State defense has allowed just 13 total points in two games, allowing 216 total yards per game while collecting nine turnovers and four sacks.