AP alert

Vice President Mike Pence to visit Oklahoma, tour flood-damaged areas

• 0
Pence (copy)

Photo provided by Hearst Television, Inc. U.S. Vice President Mike Pence and Second Lady Karen Pence will visit Oklahoma Tuesday to survey storm damage, Pence announced on his Twitter account.

TULSA, Okla. (AP) - Vice President Mike Pence plans to visit homes damaged by flooding in Oklahoma as residents and volunteers work toward recovery.

Pence tweeted Monday that he and his wife, Karen Pence, will travel Tuesday to Tulsa. Pence said he will offer federal assistance to those who have been impacted by flooding that has waterlogged homes along the swollen Arkansas River.

The river is slowly cresting, though more rain is forecast this week. Additional rain is not expected to raise water levels higher than where they crested. Major flooding is expected to subside within a few weeks.

President Donald Trump declared a major disaster in Oklahoma on Saturday. Officials say six people died from severe weather this spring.

Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke toured flood-damaged homes Sunday.