US Rep. Kendra Horn voices support for $19 billion disaster relief bill

• 0
Kendra Horn (copy)

Congresswoman Kendra Horn of Oklahoma's fifth district delivers a speech after swearing her oath of service Jan. 12.

Rep. Kendra Horn, D-Okla., voted Monday for a natural disaster relief bill that was passed in a bipartisan effort.

The bill, H.R. 2157, is intended to aid people who are currently recovering from recent tornadoes, flooding, hurricanes and forest fires, according to a press release. If signed, the bill would provide $19.1 billion for national disaster recovery.

“We have neighbors across the country from all backgrounds in need of assistance,” Horn said in the press release.

Of the aid offered, more than $4 billion will be used to help farmers and ranchers restore land and cut their losses, according to the press release. More than $3 billion will be administered to the Army Corps of Engineers to fix damaged infrastructure.

“(Oklahomans) know what emergencies look like and how important relief like this is,” Horn said in the press release. “Over the past two weeks alone, we experienced tornadoes and flooding across our state.”

According to the press release, Gov. Kevin Stitt’s office submitted an assistance request that said six people in Oklahoma died in recent storms, while more than 100 people reported injuries. With more than 300 homes destroyed and thousands suffering from sustained damage, a dozen counties have implemented evacuations.