top story

U.S Department of Education looking into security breach at OU

• 1
Data breach photo

The U.S. Department of Education will become involved with OU regarding the recent security breach, which released thousands of students' personal information.

The breach, which violated federal law, resulted in the release of student information, including student financial information. Therefore, the U.S. Department of Education is becoming involved based on the release of this information which violates the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA).

Liz Hill, the U.S. Department of Education press secretary provided a statement below via email regarding the department's involvement with OU. 

“The U.S. Department of Education takes allegations of privacy and data security violations very seriously," Hill said via email. "The office of Federal Student Aid has contacted the university to further assess the institution’s compliance with its data security safeguard requirements according to the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA).”

In addition, Federal Student Aid will also become involved as the security breach would violate Title IV of the Higher Education Act, which states to protect student data.

“FSA also is reviewing the institution's obligation to immediately self-report any suspected or actual breach of the confidentiality, integrity, or availability of data,” Hill said via email. 

In addition to releasing the financial information of students, the breach released the social security numbers, visa status and grades of some students. The information was released from Microsoft Office Delve. Since the breach, OU’s vice president Matt Hamilton, responded to the breach in a letter to the editor.