Three cases of mumps confirmed on OU's campus

• 0

Three cases of the mumps have been confirmed among students on OU’s campus by the Oklahoma Department of Health and OU Public Affairs.

Jamie Morrison, public information officer for the Oklahoma Department of Health, confirmed the cases. “We are working with the Cleveland County Health Department and OU’s campus on the investigation,” Morrison said, adding that the department is expecting a broader statement from the university regarding the measures it has taken.

According to an email from OU Public Affairs, the students have been treated.

“The University of Oklahoma has confirmed and treated three students, who were close acquaintances who tested positive for mumps,” Craig Rice, chief of medical staff at Goddard, said via an email from Public Affairs. “The university has taken all appropriate measures and is closely monitoring the situation.”

According to the website of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, mumps is a contagious disease caused by a virus. It typically starts with a few days of fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness, and loss of appetite, followed by swollen salivary glands.

While the CDC’s website says that mumps is frequently vaccinated against, outbreaks can occur among people in prolonged contact.

“The student health center provides booster immunizations for students upon request,” Rice said in the emailed statement. “No new cases have been identified at this time.”

Scott Kirker is a letters and Spanish senior and summer editor-in-chief of The Daily. Previously he worked as a news reporter covering research and administrative searches.