24th Avenue Northeast closes for waterline relocation

• 0
24th NE & Robinson (copy)

The intersection of 24th Ave NE and Robinson St. May 28.

All lanes of 24th Avenue Northeast between Jackson Drive and Robinson Street will be closed from 8 a.m. Tuesday until noon Friday due to a waterline improvement project, according to a City of Norman press release.

A signed detour will be available using 12th Avenue Northeast, Robinson Street and Alameda Street according to the press release, and drivers should plan for extra travel time.

The construction is part of the 24th East Phase 2 Waterline Relocation Project, according to the press release. The project includes the relocation of a 16-inch high-pressure waterline and a 36-inch waterline, according to the press release.

This project is the result of the approval of a 2012 bond issue to fund eight local transportation and stormwater improvement projects, according to the press release.

According to the press release, the relocation of these pipelines is vital in order to construct the new roadway and storm water system on 24th Avenue East.

The project will also widen two miles of roadway from two lanes to four lanes, add continuous sidewalks, stormwater improvements and on-street bike lanes, according to the press release.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.