Sooner Bowling Center suffers 'significant' damage after truck collision

• 1
Sooner Bowling Center

A truck crashed into the Sooner Bowling Center just after 10 p.m. April 30. The building sustained significant damages, but there were no injuries and the bowling alley is still open for business. 

The Sooner Bowling Center at 550 24th Ave. NW. sustained “significant” damages after a truck drove into the building just after 10 p.m. April 30, police say.

The driver of the vehicle did not sustain any injuries, and the building was empty at the time of the accident, according to Sarah Jensen, public safety information officer for the Norman Police Department.

“Initial investigation into the collision revealed that the driver of the vehicle had a medical issue causing them to drive into the building,” Jensen said.

Jensen said the driver will likely not be charged with a crime.

Mandy Haws, manager of the Sooner Bowling Center whose family also own the property, said the bowling alley is still open for business.

“We’re incredibly grateful that miraculously no one was injured,” Haws said. “We don’t know the status of the driver but we sure hope everything is OK there too.”

Haws said the business is still in damage assessment mode, but the damaged part of the property has been secured and the incident has not affected operations.

“I just maybe need more coffee this morning, but all operations are just fine,” Haws said.