breaking featured

Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house vandalized after chapter closure

• 20

The Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house, located at 730 College Ave., appears to have been vandalized following its disbandment after a video featuring its members chanting racial slurs surfaced online late Sunday evening.

Daily photographers saw individuals exit the fraternity house with suitcases around 11:30 p.m. Around 12:15 a.m., Daily photographers witnessed a man cross the street and write on the building with spray paint.

The front of the building, facing College Avenue, was marked by a series of black squiggly lines, while the side of the building reads “Tear it D.”

A little before 1 a.m., two members pulled up to the house in an SUV. The members said they would prefer to remain anonymous but told The Daily they had been receiving death threats to their Facebook and email accounts.

Around the same time, police officers were parked behind the Sigma Alpha Epsilon. An officer at the scene said they “were just talking to people.”

The fraternity’s national headquarters sent a press release around 10:20 p.m. saying OU’s Sigma Alpha Epsilon was closed and that all members were suspended. The members responsible had their membership privileges permanently revoked, according to the press release.

Dana Branham is a journalism senior and enterprise editor of The Daily. Previously, she worked as editor-in-chief, engagement managing editor, online editor, social media coordinator and news reporter.

Paighten Harkins is a journalism senior and the digital managing editor for The Daily. She has previously served as campus editor, assistant campus editor and a campus reporter.