SGA President Adran Gibbs releases statement to OU Board of Regents urging open presidential selection process

• 0
Adran Gibbs (copy)

OU SGA President Adran Gibbs speaks at the Martin Luther King Jr. choir concert Jan. 21.

SGA President Adran Gibbs released a statement Thursday asking the OU Board of Regents to use an open selection process and consider all options for a possible appointment of an interim president.

In the statement, released via Twitter before the OU Board of Regents meeting began, Gibbs said the regents should commit to an open presidential selection process, and should be open about the selection of an interim president as well.

"Tonight's meeting, which is solely an executive session, removes our right as a community to ask questions," Gibbs said in the statement.

The 8:15 p.m. OU Board of Regents meeting went into executive session after a few minutes of opening remarks, and as of 9:15 p.m. the meeting remains in executive session.

In the statement, Gibbs encouraged the regents to "consider all opinions" as they deliberate over a possible appointment of an interim president.

"The power to remedy this situation by listening to and learning from the perspectives of students, faculty and staff is in your hands," Gibbs said in the statement. "We are waiting, and we are looking forward to the prospect of a transparent process going forward."

This post will be updated after the conclusion of the OU Board of Regents' executive session.

Update: As of 1:15 a.m. Friday, the OU Board of Regents meeting remains in executive session.

Update: The meeting concluded with the regents naming OU College of Law Dean Joseph Harroz as OU's interim president, effective immediately, shortly after 2:00 a.m.