Rep. Kendra Horn addresses temporary plan to house migrant children at Fort Sill

• 0
Kendra Horn (copy)

Congresswoman Kendra Horn of Oklahoma's fifth district delivers a speech after swearing her oath of service Jan. 12.

Rep. Kendra Horn, D-Okla., released a statement Wednesday addressing the use of an Oklahoma military base to temporarily house migrant children.

Horn’s statement followed a press release where Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., Sen. James Lankford, R-Okla., and Rep. Tom Cole, R-Okla., addressed the use of Fort Sill to temporarily house migrant children.

“We should end the practice of family separation immediately,” Horn said. “Families are coming to the US to escape violence and danger in their home countries. These are parents trying to keep their children safe from violence.”

Fort Sill was previously used as an emergency site for housing migrant children in 2014. In the press release from Sens. Inhofe, Lankford and Rep. Cole, Inhofe criticized the 2014 emergency plan for a lack of organization. Inhofe said he feels the Trump administration has an effective plan in place.

Horn said national security must be a priority in dealing with immigration issues, but also said prioritizing humane treatment of migrant children is important.

“We must ensure our nation's security and we must also uphold the highest standards of humane treatment - especially for unaccompanied children,” Horn said in the statement. “I appreciate everything the servicemembers at Fort Still will be doing to achieve both of these goals during this mission.”

On Wednesday, Major Chris Mitchell, spokesperson for the Department of Defense, told The Daily Fort Sill is expected house unaccompanied children until Sep. 30.

Support the independent journalism OU needs

Then perhaps you’d like to help fund our endeavors. Around the world, communities are grappling with what journalism is worth and how to fund the civic good that robust news organizations can generate. We believe The OU Daily and Crimson Quarterly magazine provide real value to this community both now by covering OU, and tomorrow by helping launch the careers of media professionals.

If you’re able, please support us today for as little as $1. You can make a one-time donation or a recurring pledge.