Questions for Norman police? Norman Citizens Advisory Board to hold second public forum

• 0
NPD (copy)

A Norman Police Department squad car sits outside the police department March 31, 2018. 

The Norman Citizens Advisory Board will hold a public forum to provide community members with an opportunity to ask questions or voice concerns to the board related to the Norman Police Department.

The meeting, which will take place at 6 p.m. Thursday in the Norman Municipal Building Multi-Purpose Room, is the second public forum since the board was created in spring 2019.

Sarah Jensen, public information officer for NPD, said the first public forum in April mainly informed community members about the board’s creation. Then, the forum provided attendees with an opportunity to share any concerns, discuss areas of interest or bring up questions related to NPD’s operations.

“(The board) was created with the vision of providing the police department with yet another tool for community engagement that went beyond our ongoing efforts at outreach and open dialogue,” Jensen said, “such as events that we currently hold with a number of community partners like Voices of Norman, Police Data Initiative, Coffee with a Cop, and various other community events.”

Jensen said the board holds monthly private meetings, and will continue to hold public forums quarterly.

“Citizens can come and speak directly to the board and bring forward concerns, feedback, things they want the board to look into further from the community,” Jensen said.