Protestors occupy Evans Hall as a part of climate strike

• 0
Climate Strike (copy)

OU students and activists protest climate change in a strike hosted by the Environmental Justice Coalition Oklahoma on the South Oval and in Evans Hall Nov. 7.

Protesters are currently sitting on the floor of the president's office in Evans Hall as part of a strike against OU's sustainability efforts.

The strike, organized by the Environmental Justice Coalition of Oklahoma, is taking place due to the university's “failure to offer sufficient sustainable transportation and dining options, and as well as its significant monetary ties to oil and gas corporations,” according to a press release.

After speeches by a few speakers, the protesters marched into Evans Hall and sat in the president's office, and said they did not plan on moving until they had a conversation with interim OU President Joseph Harroz  who had been attending a meeting of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education in the morning.

Law enforcement later arrived to the area, and a fire marshal was reportedly on the way to ensure the group was not presenting a fire hazard. 

The group also provided The Daily with a list of their demands to the university. The list calls for environmental reform in areas of financial, social and sustainability.

Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students David Surratt arrived at one point in the strike, and Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs and Assistant Dean of Students Brynn Daves communicated with organizers of the protest to try to arrange for an official meeting with members of the department. But members of the group said they will remain there until they meet with Harroz.

news managing editor

Jordan Miller is a journalism and political science junior serving as The Daily's news managing editor. Previously she served as The Daily's spring 2019 news editor, fall 2018 assistant visual editor and was an SGA beat reporter.